Chapter 2

– Jake & Monica –

   There are certain things in life that you become accustomed to – probably because of previous times you've done those certain things. It's almost like a bad habit, but one that you can't break. Everyone has these certain 'bad habits' or 'everyday things' and Monica Highland was no exception.

   She has always had the habit of being late, a habit of sleeping in and waiting till the last minute to do something – you could easily peg her as a procrastinator. Today was one of those days, because right now the flat was a mess; various articles of clothing strewn across the floor and furniture, not to mention the dirty dishes stacked in the sink that had yet to be washed – Monica would walk past it and mutter, "I'll do it later".

   "I'm going to be late," the small brunet whined to his mother, his chest still bare from the hassle Monica was making for the perfect first day of school attire. He sat on her bed, his legs dangling over the edge, impatiently swinging back and forth.

   Monica glanced over to her giddy son – aware that this phase of 'I want to go to school' will soon fade – before looking over at the digital clock set on the dresser beside the bed. She had precisely fifteen minutes to find his favourite shirt – one that matches his father's style completely; a blue plaid button up – and then drive him to school which was about ten minutes away.

   Jake, her son, was really ecstatic about his first day of primary school not only because he was ready to learn but because he had missed his best friend Athena – which he had be-friended in preschool – and couldn't wait to see her again. But it wasn't like he could rush his mother because of it, because he didn't tell her about his first friend mostly because she was the type to document every little thing he did but because he was embarrassed to tell her that he made friends with a girl because all the other boys had said that girls had cooties. He didn't want his mum to think he had cooties from being friend's with her too.

   "Aha! I found it," Monica announced pulling out the blue shirt from the bottom of the dresser – go figure. She then walked back over to her son – or really, her exact replica and though she'd never admit it out loud, she was thankful that he looked nothing like his father – who now jumped up and down excitedly. She carefully placed the shirt on, being sure not to mess up the hair she took twenty minutes on – who knew a five year old would have so much hair? After successfully doing so, she stepped back from him and admired her work. "Okay, now we need to get going, fire ball. Don't want to be late on your first day, hm?"

  "No way," the boy agreed before hopping off the bed and dashing toward the door of their small apartment. It really was no mystery why she called him her 'fire ball'. "Come on, Mum! I don't have all day!"

   Monica chuckled at her son's ambitions before taking her time walking to the door, toward the impatient boy who bounced on the balls of his feet. He knew that his mother was doing this on purpose so he shot her a small glare – clearly getting that from Monica's stubborn side – hoping that he'd make her move faster. She didn't.

.

   Monica Highland didn't really speak much of Jake's father. It wasn't that she hated his guts or anything for not being supportive, it was because she simply couldn't do it, it was too hard. And, she fears that if she does tell him things about his father, her son would want to be just like him – and that would be too hard to handle. She wasn't ready for that.

   The thing about Jake's father was that he didn't want to be considered his father – or that's what he implied once Monica told him about her pregnancy. She was about two weeks when she had told him, and he immediately had denied that the child was his – his exact words being, "No way, that child isn't mine. This can't be mine." He had left the following day, leaving Monica to go to every appointment and check-up alone as well as raise Jake alone (aside from the help her brother gave her).