Chapter 36

- Harry & Monica -

Everyone goes through losing and gaining people in their life but when being reunited it either seems as if the time apart was nothing or you realize exactly why the other walked out of your life. It's supposed to be simple, that when losing people you're sad and then when gaining people it makes you happy; not necessarily true. We'll see what happens when Harry and Monica come back into each other's lives once more. 

To have their talk, both Harry and Monica found themselves at the park where they had their last interaction. Both brunettes make their way to take a seat on a swing, though it was quite difficult for Harry to find a comfortable position since he was much too tall for the children's equipment, a silence consuming them. Eventually, Harry gives up and takes a seat in front of Monica's swing.

"I'm sorry," he tells her, tugging his left leg to his chest and wrapping his arms around it. He couldn't look into her eyes without feeling guilty; all those times he'd walk away from her, the look of utter hurt in her eyes, he didn't want to look up and see that feeling again.

He knew it was a douche move to walk away from her twice but he couldn't help it. After their argument, all he could do is think of Katelyn and after that, all he could see is a happy family before him. He was hurt but that was still no excuse to hurt Monica. She hurt him too, however, with how close she's getting to Matt again just worries him to no end, that she'll go back to her first love and leave him with his love unrequited. He wanted to let go first.

"I'm sorry too," she says with a sigh, running a hand through her hair. She looked down at him, and how small he looked sitting atop the wood chips. He didn't look fragile at first glance, but seeing him right there purposefully not meeting her eyes he was as fragile as an antique.

"We should probably elaborate, yeah?" He chuckles lightly to himself, trying to ease the tension that was starting to build up. When he sees her nod in his peripheral vision, he picks up a wood chip and examines it as he speaks, "Matt is Jake's Father... Obviously now that he's back and committed, he's going to want to be with Jake. You're Jake's Mother and you want to be with him - it's inevitable that you and Matt will be spending more time with each other."

Monica bites her lip as she listens to him, wondering exactly what Harry was going to tell her.

"It was over the line to comment on how easily you let him back in and how much time you spend with him. I had no right to do that. When on tour with Liam of course Jake is going to miss Matt as well as the other way around, it's smart to have him come along a few times. I guess I only flipped out because I'm scared," he looks up to meet her eyes, eyes darting around all over her face, "I'm scared that you'll leave me and go back to him. The lad that was your first love, the Father of your child and someone who you planned your whole life with. And then with Athena running in... you were being yourself - helpful and caring and I just blew up on you because my emotions were already out of control. I'm sorry."

She swings her swing lightly, looking away from him to look at the sky. "You should know that he has a girlfriend. I tried telling you that multiple times but you never let me finish. They've been together for almost a year - neither of them want marriage but rather a committed relationship to last them a lifetime." Harry's eyes are wide with this new information. "I'm sure that if Matt never left me we still would've ended up not being together because I want marriage - I was one of those little girls that always pretended to have a weddings; inviting all my stuffed animals to come watch. He didn't want that whatsoever because of what happened between his parents."

The man on the ground stays silent, still in shock that Matt had a girlfriend. Not only just that but how Monica hasn't had a relationship since everything ended with him - he was the exception. Just like himself, she was going through something huge and it was hard to start anew. He remembers thinking how awful Matt was for leaving Monica the way he had yet, he realizes his done the same to her - twice.