Chapter 29

- Athena & Jake -

When you're annoyed you tend to constantly roll your eyes, ignore whatever is bothering you, huff - a lot - and silently wish for it/them to go away. But of course, that doesn't happen. You continue to feel annoyed by everything, if it's a person you're annoyed with, coming from their mouth. Silently telling them to shut up but it's clear that that isn't going to happen. Athena realizes this when Jake continues to talk about Matt throughout snack time.

She just stares at the bag of animal crackers on her lap, drowning out Jake's voice every time she'd chew. Her mind was racing, it's been racing ever since the only topic that seemed to be on Jake's mind was the fact his dad is here and how wonderful he is.

He used to be that way about Harry.

"He's a better football player than Harry," Jake says after sipping his apple juice. He looks over to Athena to see a frown on her face, he frowns to before nudging her foot with his own. "I kicked a goal."

The blonde continues her silence, not wanting to fuel this conversation.

"Then he took me to McDonald's," Jake drawls on, watching Athena with curious eyes. He had no idea why she's been so silent around him lately, it made him upset. "I think him and Mummy are gonna be together."

"What about my Daddy?" Athena finally speaks up, her eyes finding his immediately.

Jake immediately stops digging in his bag of animal crackers and looks away from her. To be honest, he wasn't thinking of Harry in that way anymore ever since the topic of meeting up with Matt came around. He was too busy focused on what Matt'll be like - if he'll be like those other dads he'd see on the drive past the park. He knew, in the beginning of the plan, that Harry would do that, that he would be a great dad but now he's had the opportunity to meet his own. One that does play football with him, one that makes him smile, one that will give him McDonald's. Sure, Harry had done the same things but Matt was officially his.

The question Athena asked was left unanswered.

So throughout the rest of the day, Athena did not speak to Jake - angry with him for losing sight of their plan and angry because all he cares about now is Matt. She stayed silent during their work time, she turned her back to him during nap time and hardly even looked at him the minute Mrs. Roberts dismissed them.

The blonde was quick to spot her tall father in the crowd of other parents. Beside him was Monica, and beside her was Matt. She glared at him for a moment before approaching her father.

"Hey, 'thena. Where's Jake?" He asked picking her up and setting her on his hip. She merely shrugs, eyes trained on the plain white t-shirt her wore. "Are you okay, Cupcake?"

Just as Athena's lips opened to speak, Jake's voice chimed in, "Daddy!"

Harry's daughter just buries her face into his neck and murmurs, "I wanna go home."

Pressing a kiss to his daughter's forehead, Harry bids adieu to the Highlands and Matt. Athena smiles when she hears Harry promise to call Monica before giving her a one armed hug but it fails to lift her mood. Her best friend was not in this with her. Harry pats Matt's back and holds up a fist for a fist bump to Jake. Jake is too focused on Matt to return the gesture. Harry says goodbye before making his way to the car.

"Why didn't you say bye to Athena and Harry?" Monica questions Jake the minute the Styles' walk out the door.

"Can I spend time with Daddy again?" Jake asks, eyes big in a pleading way.

"After your Mummy and me have a talk," Matt answers for Monica, patting his son's head before the three head outside. But at the mention of his parents having alone time, he gets excited.