Chapter 34

[a few flip-flops here]

- Athena & Harry -

In the heat of an argument, there is no time to think about the words spewing out of your mouth. Because in the heat of the moment, you have word vomit and this word vomit could be thoughts you've kept behind barriers or they could be things that you don't really mean but in that moment, you just wanted them to be hurt instead of yourself. Well, here's the thing: when you put fire with fire, you only get burned. Harry at the moment, was a burned out match - basking in what had just happened.

It was almost one in the morning when the rain stopped, Harry not hesitating for a minute as he crept into Jake's room to retrieve his daughter so they could go home. But despite being extra quiet and extra careful, Athena still woke up and asked where they were going to which Harry replied with a simple, "Home."

After his and Monica's argument, Harry laid on the sofa staring off into the darkness while listening to the rain drops and flinching ever-so-slightly when thunder rumbled through the earth. His thoughts continued to swirl and whenever he'd hear Monica enter the room - probably wanting to talk to him - he'd pretend he was asleep so he wouldn't have to. Childish, it was, but he knew that if they'd talk he'd just blow up again. Never has he raised his voice in such away (with Katelyn it was always slightly loud disagreements) and it scared him to no end. As the weight of his words dawned on him, he couldn't help but frown at himself. He wouldn't blame Monica if she hated him - he kind of hated himself at that moment.

Athena doesn't fall back to sleep once she's in the car, instead she stares out the window into the dead city - not a single person in sight. She knew that Harry had to have left because of the argument, she knew so because after Monica put her back into bed she crawled back out and eavesdropped barely missing Harry's line of vision when he stormed out of the room.

At a stop light she says, "I don't remember Mummy."

It is clear that Harry stiffens at her confession. His temper begins to rise once more. "Katelyn is your Mum, 'thena. She was a wonderful woman and I love her so much."

"Moni will be my new Mummy because you love her and you two will get married!"She exclaims after a beat of silence. Harry's hands tighten around the wheel.

"I don't think so, pumpkin," Harry whispers brokenly. Tears form in his eyes once the words slip past his lips, the weight on his shoulders becoming too much for him to handle. He pushes them back, however, until he and his daughter are in the safety of their own home. He tucks her into bed, presses a kiss to her forehead before making his way down stairs; his actions taking over his mind.

The first thing to break is a lamp that Niall had gotten him at the flee market, it's glass remains scattering across the hardwood as if it was an unsolved jigsaw. Frustrated tears fall from Harry's eyes as he stares down at the shattered lamp, chest heaving fast along with the beat of his heart. The next thing to break was a frame that contained a picture of him and Gemma, the photo fluttering to the ground unharmed. Huffing, he wipes at his tears angrily. A few plates and wall clock follow the lamp and the frame.

For the first time in Harry Styles' life, he felt completely and utterly helpless.

Athena doesn't wake up this time around, thank God for sound proof walls, Harry thinks once he realizes the mess he's made and how it must've been pretty freaking loud. Stuttering a sigh, Harry let himself slide down the nearest walls and onto the floor. His arms wrapping around his knees as he brings them up to his chest. Today (er, yesterday?) was just a mess - he wanted to take back every word he'd said to Monica and just be in the bed with her at this very moment, holding her close to him. But deep down, he knew that he wasn't ready for just that.