Chapter 16

- Monica & Matt - [years before...]

When meeting someone's eyes for the first time, it's as if the future is set up. That the connection with that person or effect they'll have on you is brought by the very first look two people share, whether it'd be friendship, romance, or just a helpful guide. It's God's plan some would say, the minute two eyes meet - the rest is figured out. And Monica liked to believe that Matt would leave a lasting effect.

The minute their eyes had met, it was as if Monica could see what the future holds in his hazel eyes - like a film was playing across the reflection of his eyes. Of course, that was short lived because Harper, Monica's friend at the time, couldn't help but squeal.

"Is this love at first sight I am witnessing?" She questions, her bold character was sometimes a bit overwhelming to Monica but she had grown to love her best friend despite her boldness that would usually leave Monica a blushing mess. And indeed, Monica's cheeks were flushed a deep red.

"Way to ruin the moment, Harp." Danny rolls his brown, almost black eyes at the brunette. She simply pouts before both of them turn toward the soon-to-be-couple. "We'll leave you two alone, to you know, fall in love and stuff."

Danny had that bold trait too, only he was in denial about it.

The minute their friends had left, Monica tucked a strand of hair behind her ear - her hair was reaching to the bottom of her ribcage, soon she'd realize her love for shoulder-length hair when Matt accidentally gets gum in her hair on their third date, causing her to cut it - before shifting the books in her grasp. She had yet to meet Matt's eyes again, but it was clear that his eyes were still on her.

"I guess we should get started," he comments, shrugging his bag further up his shoulder. Monica looked up with a confused stare.

"Get started with what?"

"Falling in love with each other."

And so they started to fall in love with each other, it was no 'love at first sight' like Harper had said because according to Matt, that would've been too cliché for his liking and no way would he want to tell his future kids how his first love was 'love at first sight'. They spent nearly every day together, going to the local library to study together, running in the park, having movie nights that would lead to cuddles and their favourite, Matt sneaking into her house at night so they could sit on the roof and look at the stars together, side by side with no other care in the world.

"We should seriously be matchmakers," Harper tells Danny who sat beside her at their lunch table, a couple months into Monica and Matt's relationship. From across the table, Matt swung an arm around Monica's shoulders knowing well enough that she'd need his chest to hide her red cheeks. She still couldn't believe that Harper actually did something right since it was common for the girl to mess things up.

"We should," Danny agrees after throwing Matt a smile, happy to see his friend with someone as special as Monica. He knew that they'd go far. "Maybe we could help Travis and Hannah get together; they've been eyeballing each other lately."

"Let's go meddle," Harper says with a grin before standing up from the table and walking toward the previously mentioned teens, Danny follows her.

"Alright, they're gone," Matt says letting Monica pull away from his chest. She smiles at him adoringly before pecking his lips. He grins. "What was that for?"

She shrugs, tracing a finger over the plaid pattern of his shirt. "I just love you."

"I love you too, Mon." His grin widens before he kisses her, ignoring the weight of people's stares on them.