Chapter 27

- Monica & Matt -

Time travel. Everyone knows it's not humanly possible but that doesn't stop them from wishing to go into the past to right a wrong or from wanting to go to the future to see what's to come. It's a reoccurring feeling, the feeling of 'what if', 'what could', 'what about' and sometimes it eats away at those who linger on them. But sometimes, a second chance comes along and the solution wouldn't have to be the impossible time travel; it would just happen. Matt Taylor was given that second chance when Friday evening came around.

Monica was a frazzled mess that morning, leaving Jake to dress himself as she ranted to Jeff over the phone on how this wasn't a great idea, how things should be left the way they are. Jeff merely shut her up by saying it needs to be done, especially after the kiss she had with Harry. (Though Monica's brother wasn't much for girl-talk he was willing to get over it just so his younger sister could talk the night away about a man she was fond of.) If things aren't solved with Matt, Jeff agreed with Mara and Tim, it would just come back to haunt her.

It's not until after school does she meet up with Matt. Arriving at the school dressed in nice jeans and a large sweater that tended to cover her hands. Harry agreed on taking care of both kids during Monica's meeting with Matt.

"Wow, you've got a hot date," Harry had teased when Monica walked into the school, waiting for her child to be dismissed so she can tell him 'see you later'. Harry felt more comfortable with the meeting that was going to take place after the kiss and the talk she had with him this morning during drop off.

Ten minutes before meeting her first love again, Jake wraps his arms around his mother's legs and says, "Tell Daddy I said hi."

.

She now sat at a table in quiet café across from the man she sworn she'd spend the rest of her life with. He was the one who had entered the building last out of the two, a smile grazing his features when spotting Monica at a booth beside the window (that had always been her favourite spot in restaurants). They greeted each other with a hug that was not as awkward as Monica had thought it would be. Actually, the beginning to their long waited conversation wasn't awkward at all - it was easy... it was natural.

They made a bit of small talk before the heavy topics would make an appearance. These light topics consisted of how each other were doing, what's been going on, etc.

"So what do you do now?" Monica asks, taking a sip of her water.

Matt fiddles with the straw in his drink and smiles a little. "Well, you know how I never really had a career in mind during Uni?" She nods. "Well, on my final year I had realized how much I enjoyed watching those television shows revolving around the court and why exactly I enjoyed Legally Blonde so much. I became a lawyer."

"Wow, that's amazing. Congrats." There was a question dying to fall from her lips but she willed them not fall just yet. This meeting was going great so far, she didn't want to ruin it so soon because this felt nice. Reconnecting with someone from the once carefree Monica in high school. She'd love to meet up with Harper and Danny if she had the chance.

"What about you? How's the studio?" He looks up at her, noticing how much more beautiful she had gotten over the years. He too had a question hanging on his lips but before that, he wanted to answer the question he was more than positive was waiting to slip from hers.

Her eyes fall to his dark v-neck, her lips parting. "Um, it's on foreclosure... Not much of a solid business anyways."

"I could help if you -"

"No, that's fine." She was thankful for the suggestion, just like with Harry's offer, but she didn't want to take anyone's money for a dream that was originally envisioned by a couple and a mother. She knew that whatever was next for her, it would most definitely involve dance. "That dream was never truly mine. It was my Mum's and yours..."