Chapter 13

– Monica & Jeff –

     There are always those people in everyone's lives that no matter how many times you say "drop it", they just don't. They continue to pester, bug and nag you until you either avoid them at all costs or you give up and tell them in the end. You aren't always happy about doing so, but you're just happy to get them off your back. Monica was happy about getting Jeff off her back.

     Ever since she'd arrived back home after the trip to the fair, he had questioned her about what happened. Monica couldn't fight the smile off of her face, which furthered Jeff's suspicion, but still waved off his questions and after putting Jake down for bed she said, "I thought you were leaving tonight?"

     "Leave without a goodbye? Do you even know me?"  Jeff asked, quite offended by this. "You go on a date with a boy and expect me to just leave?"

     "It wasn't a date," Monica deadpanned before heading to the kitchen, Jeff following right behind her. "And he is not a 'boy' he's a man."

      Jeff rolled his eyes at his sister, leaning against the counter with arms folded. "He didn't pull a move on you did he? Because there are kids there and he can't do anything to you without my permission. I'm serio – "

     "Shut up," she cut him off whilst slapping his arm. "Nothing happened. We all – kids included – had a great time."

      This was true because despite the woman thinking they were a family and the tension left in the car after Monica mentioned something about Jake's father. She didn't really want to tell Harry the reason she hated that nickname because honestly, she wanted to be okay, she wanted to not have such a little thing remind her of the lad who left her. But she couldn't lie to him. She had also thought that if she told Harry something about Jake's father, he'd say something about his late wife – he didn't, instead he sighed at Monica's words before rubbing her shoulder with his left hand. It had surprised her but as soon as it started, it ended. Harry pulled his hand awkwardly away which caused the tension to rise.

     "Monica Jane Highland, I'm not as stupid as you think I am," Jeff says with an offended tone, staring down at her. "Just tell me what happened before I go ask little man."

     "Jeff, he's five years young, it's not like he'll give excruciating detail." Monica folded her arms. "Honestly, nothing happened."

     "Then why are your cheeks flushed?"

     After a few more minutes of pestering, Monica finally cracked. She screamed out a "Fine!" before marching to the living room, her hands on her cheeks to try and prevent her blush from showing.

     "I'm waiting."

     "He kissed my cheek!" Monica finally blurted, letting her left hand fall to her side as the right still held onto her cheek, the cheek he had kissed. She knew that it was a mistake kiss on the cheek but it was nonetheless a kiss and the feeling of his lips on her already warm cheek was just the greatest feeling. When Harry had pulled away – once again, as soon as it happened, it ended – he was a stuttering mess, saying he hadn't meant to do that and that for a moment it felt like a date before he stuttered again and said that it wasn't a date before closing off. Monica knew he was thinking of Katelyn. She left with a simple bye before opening the back door to carry a sleeping Jake to the flat.

     "Um, I never heard him ask for my blessing of this kiss," Jeff says with a brotherly tone. Monica rolled her eyes. "Don't you roll your eyes at me young lady, I'm serious."

     "You sound like Mum." She groaned, head titling back at the thought of her Mother, the woman who wasn't supportive of her pregnancy.

     "Okay, but seriously, did anything else happen?"