Chapter 32

[ a few 3rd pov swaps - you've been warned]

- Jake & Monica -

There is that moment that comes after another moment. It could be called realization. Realization - letting whatever happened officially sink in. It could be a happy moment or sad moment to sink in but it's realization nonetheless. For Monica, it was a happy one - one that took her career to the next step.

A few days after Harry and Monica's third date and Harry's birthday, Monica and Jake found themselves at Liam's house, discussing matters about the tour. The solo artist had given Monica his number and address the day of Harry's birthday gathering, saying they had much to talk about for the LP tour. So here she was next to Liam on his sofa as her eyes darted around the house and to Jake who sat on the floor playing with his dolphin plush, Marco.

"Rehearsals start next week for you," Liam says whilst giving her a schedule. "I'm really excited for you to join the team!"

Monica glances down at the paper she's received before meeting Liam's eyes. "I can't believe that it's really happening."

"Best believe it." He grins whilst slinging an arm over her shoulder.

Everything was happening so fast, which is understandable since good things always seem to speed time up, that Monica was afraid she'd get whiplash. Not only had she gotten the most amazing job ever but she also went on a third date with the most amazing man ever and her little boy was more than excited to come along with her. No way would she leave Jake behind, not even if he stayed with Matt because she could hardly go a day without seeing her pride and joy. She was stoked for the events to come.

"It means so much to me. Thank you, Liam." Being the modest person he was, Liam shrugged off her thank you by saying 'no, thank you' to which Monica gives him a questionable look. "What for? You're the one keeping my career alive."

"True." Liam removes his arm from Monica's shoulder just as Jake approaches him. The newly shaven lad picks him up and sits him down on his lap. "But I have to thank you for what you've done with Harry."

Jake looks over to his mother who blushes at the mention of Harry and smiles to himself. The plan, had to have been his greatest idea yet. Sure, it would've been cool for Matt to be in Harry's position so he could have an unbroken family but Jake was okay with this because Harry's okay and Monica is smiling that smile that she'd have whenever she was a love-struck teenager. Jake still has Matt and he'll gain a Harry - he couldn't wait.

"Please, it was all him." Monica reaches over to brush Jake's hair from his eyes to avoid meeting Liam's eyes. She hasn't noticed how long his hair has gotten.

"You helped though," he insists reaching over to tilt Monica's head up so he could meet her eyes. "And I appreciate that so much. I haven't seen Harry like this since Katelyn was around."

Monica knows that she'll never compare to Katelyn. She remembers shipping them so hard when One Direction was still around, she remembered saying to Harper that if she doesn't marry Harry she'd hope Katelyn would because they were simply perfect for each other. Granted, Monica only had pictures to base her ship off of but still. And the way Harry had handled things after her death, Katelyn must've meant to much more to him - more than just his wife, the mother of his child, his love, his best friend. So much more.

She even sometimes wonders what would be happening in this moment if Katelyn was still alive. Would her and Harry still be friends? Would they have hung out as many times as they did? Would she still have this opportunity to go on tour with his old band mate?

"That got heavy." Liam cuts through Monica's thoughts. She blinks up at him. "So, um, I heard that you two went on a third date."

"Mummy and Harry kissed," Jake speaks up, recalling the moment when they kissed in front of Harry's house and from the other day when he'd drop them off at home. Each time, Harry'd whisper her something and she'd just smile as her cheeks coloured.