Chapter 9

– Athena & Jake –

     There are auras around everyone, some stronger than others. The strongest seem to be happiness and the other being sadness. It's all in the way someone holds themselves. How they stand, how they talk, the look in their eyes – it was basically the key to the soul. (Of course, not in a creepy way.) At this moment, Athena and Jake could feel the happy aura around the two adults.

    Everything was lighthearted, something Athena hasn't witnessed with her Father since she could remember. And though Harry has been lighthearted with Athena – that phase all parents go through with the baby talk and constant cooing –, Athena's never witnessed this kind of lightheartedness before. Where he stood tall, hands shoved into his pockets with an easy tone and more light in his eyes than she's ever seen – but there was still a spot left untouched, that look he's had since that dreadful phone call three years ago.

     Athena wished she knew what had changed from this morning to this afternoon.

     It was now time for Athena's dance lesson. She sat in the middle of the studio, doing the stretches Monica had taught her on the first lesson while watching Harry and Monica talk through the reflection in the mirror. They were both smiling.

     If only the conversation was something more personal, Athena thought to herself as she pushed her baby hairs out of her face. But it was still nice to see Harry smile with Monica since this morning was quite the opposite.

     "So what are you going to teach her today?" Harry asked changing the subject from bananas – which was something Harry had to eat three times a day, Monica made fun of it – to his daughter's lesson.

     "Maybe I'll teach the both of you a waltz," Monica answered, her eyebrows rising in the slightest.

     Harry parted his lips and tilted his head, making a couple curls brush his forehead. "You know how many years people have tried to teach me how to dance? No offence, but I doubt I'll be able to dance."

     "Well, I could try." Monica shrugged before letting a smirk pass her lips. "Besides, I might get in a few laughs if you trip and fall."

     Harry gaped at her in surprise but didn't have time to reply because Athena walked up and told Monica that she was done stretching. Athena was secretly holding back a laugh from Monica's remark. Monica gestured with her head for Harry to follow them to the middle of the studio.

     Jake watched from the bleachers outside the studio, laughing from time to time when Harry would trip over his own feet and frown as the two girls laughed. He smiled while watching Harry waltz with Athena, Harry was bent down with Athena's feet planted on his – it was a cute sight. He also smiled – a lot – when Monica had to take over as the girl partner to show Harry exactly how to lead and do the steps.

     "You have a tendency of stepping on feet don't you?" Monica mused after Harry accidentally stepped on her foot for the sixth time. Harry let out a small chuckle and looked up from his gaze on his feet to meet Monica's eyes.

     He cleared his throat and stepped back slightly, removing his hand from her waist and hand. "I warned you that I'm un-teachable. Besides, it's not just dancing. On my wedding day I accidentally stepped on Katelyn's feet at the alter and she – " Harry started to laugh but quickly cut himself off, the spark that was previously in his eyes gone now. Athena frowned from her spot and looked at Jake through the glass, seeing a frown form on his lips as well.

     This happened every time Harry nearly speaks of Katelyn, he shuts down and becomes solemn. It was hard, Athena understood that, to find someone of whom you'd thought you spend your entire life with but having them torn away in a blink of an eye. Any fond memory Harry held, was bound to resurface at any time and when they would, it'd bring him back to that day of losing her.