Chapter 2

Tory's Pov
I stood by my locker, searching the crowd for Ella Francis. We needed to talk. It was the end of the school day, and everyone was eager to leave. So when she materialized from the crowd in front of me, I smiled. Her green eyes shone with happiness.

"Hi Tor. Why'd you need to see me?"
"Long story. I'll explain it when everyone is together. Ben is picking us up and taking us to see Chance." I quickly instructed.
"Hold up. What am I supposed to tell my parents? Are we going to be back in time for soccer? Where are we meeting Chance? And what is going on?"
"Soccer, no, somewhere, tell you in the car," I said dragging her down the hall.

Outside, Ben's beat-up blue Explorer was waiting outside, the owner leaning against the side. Reaching the car, we saw that Hi and Shelton were already inside. Ella made a face, then slipped inside the back, forced to sit between the two boys. I sat front passenger. Ben took the wheel. My phone buzzed. Glancing down, I saw that it was a text from Chance.

Meet at Candela

"We're meeting at Candela," I reported.
Ben grunted an affirmation. Shifting the gear of the car, we drove off to see Chance.

----------------------•----------------------
"Took your time getting here," Chance commented from his chair. "Why did you call a meeting?"

I glanced at the others raising my eyebrow. Hi smiled, Shelton shrugged and Ben slightly inclined his head forward. Ella looked frustrated and confused. I opted for showing Chance why I called the meeting.

I closed my eyes. Felt for the wolf. I untied it, leaving the leash on. After the beginning phase of calm washed over me and faded, I unleashed the rest of the wolf.

I tensed preparing for the intense cold. I got the opposite. A raging heat tore through my veins. A name echoed in my head. Burn. There was no image accompanied with the pain. Unfortunately the heat lasted longer, more intense than the cold. It smoldered, burned. I think I cried out in pain. I felt my knees buckle. Tensing I prepared for the pain of the floor. Thankfully, I never hit the floor. Ben caught me.
"What happened?" He asked.
"Not sure," my voice quavered. "Must be new-flare symptoms."

My knees were still weak so I leaned on Ben for support. Facing Chance, I displayed my brilliant blue eyes. When he got the message and was staring open mouthed at me, I let Ella see my eyes. She sat down on the floor clearly in shock.

"The flares are back," she whispered.
"Yep," I responded.
"Wonderful,"Chance said sarcastically from behind me. "Just so wonderful. Now that we all have flares again supposedly, how about we just get another damn government agency on us so that we can go through a living hell again!"
"Chance chill," I snapped my strength returning. "I'm pretty sure the government agency gave us the flare powers."
"Can this day get any worse?" Chance asked.
"I don't know what your talking about," Hi said. "Having the flare back is the best thing that had ever happened to me! I finally have the right to sing the song 'best day of my life'!"
"Please don't," Shelton said.
"Party pooper."
"I want my eardrums to live."

My phone buzzed. I glanced at a text from Kit. It was short. I felt myself pale. My knees gave out again. Thankfully I was still leaning on Ben who caught me. Again.
"Tory! What's wrong?" Ben asked worried.

I couldn't respond; the message from my dad kept replaying itself in my head. I looked up at Chance and in a barley audible voice whispered,"You know how you just asked can this day get any worse? Well it just started going downhill."
"Tory what are you talking about?" Ben asked confused.

"Cooper is missing."