Chapter 16

Tory's Pov

"TORY!" Someone shouted.

It took me a moment to register dark hair above dark eyes filled with concern. Before I could think, I threw my arms around the male's neck and buried my face in his shoulder.

The person awkwardly patted my back. "Um, Tory?"

Suddenly everything came back to me: the flares, the government, the wolves, the woods and-
"What are you doing?" Chance asked.

Embarrassed, I jerked away, slamming my head against the tree. I stumbled to recuperate myself. "Sorry I just.... I-I thought that.... I forgot that..." I paused and settled for "Sorry. I thought that you were Ben."

My face felt like it was on fire. Even though it was dark, I could practically sense Chance raise an eyebrow and open his mouth to speak. Before he could say anything, I pushed past him, mumbling something about needing to go to the river. I rounded a bush and collapsed on the ground taking a shaky breath.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid! I scolded myself. I still couldn't believe that I had mistaken Chance for Ben. Tears welled in my eyes. I missed Ben. Enough. I need to get a hold of myself. I wiped my eyes, drank some water, and trudged back to the campsite.

Chance still sat in the same spot. When he saw me, he raised his eyebrow. "Care to explain what that little... episode was about?" He asked.
"Not particularly, no," I mumbled. He crossed his arms. I heaved a sigh and muttered, "Nightmare. Don't remember."

I could hear him grumbling behind me, but I decided to ignore him. Curling up on the ground, I waited for daybreak.

--•---•---•---•---•--•---•---•---•---•--

When dawn had finally come, I was more than ready to get a move on. Thankfully, Chance didn't mention what happened last night and soundlessly began walking downstream. We had been walking for a few hours when he tried to initiate conversation.

"Are you feeling ok?" He asked.
"I'm fine."
He was quiet for a little while. Suddenly he asked,"Is your flare working?"
I stumbled and almost fell into the river. "What makes you ask that?"
"I can't get mine to work," he said.
"Huh. Well mine won't work either." I mused.

We walked. And walked. And walked. Slowly, I began to go insane.

Dear mental diary, I think I'm going crazy. Anyways, last night it rained and Chance and I had to huddle to keep warm. I can't complain about the cold but I can complain about it being awkward. I have to go now. See ya.

Dear mental diary, I'm here again. Is it just me or has Chance been acting funny lately? Maybe it's just my imagination. After all, last night's dream was about unicorns taking over the world and slowly annihilating the human race. I think I've had too many berries. Bye-bye......... For now.......

Dear mental diary, guess whoooooo? That's right, I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! Heheheheheheh. (Imagine that was an evil witch cackle.) I'm certain Chance is watching me now. He's acting very strange. We've been walking for days. Well I better goooooooo....... Byeeeeeeeeeee. Hehehehehehehehehe. Help me. Please. HELP MEEEEEEEE!

Dear mental diary, I'm sure Chance is watching me. He's probably planning against me. That no good, double crossing, two faced little as-

"Ok stop. Just stop. I'm only watching you because you're saying all of that out loud and it's scaring me," Chance said.

I blinked. "I've been saying this out loud?"
He narrowed his eyes at me. "I think you need to lay off on those blackberries."
"Chance, I've been walking around in circles for a week. And to top it off, I've been stuck with you the whole time."
"I'm not that bad," he complained.
"Whatever."

--•---•---•---•---•--•---•---•---•---•--

After another week of wandering aimlessly around the woods, I was sure that Chance was watching me, and not because of the not-so-mental diaries. And it was creeping me out. He was watching me, with possessiveness? Almost hungrily.

We finally stopped for the night. It was darker than usual. I sat at the base of a tree an closed my eyes. I could feel Chance watching me. Snapping my eyes open, I glared at him. "Will you stop watching me?!?"
He stared at me blue eyes glowing. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Hold on- blue eyes? But that means- "Chance you're flaring!" I cried, scrambling to my feet.
"So I am," he said softly, slowly creeping froward. Warning bells went off in my head.
"Ch-Chance, what are you doing?" I asked, trying to tame the waver in my voice as he came closer.

He laughed, low and soft, as he stood right in front of me. My hands were behind me and I was pinned to the tree trunk as he pressed his hands on my hips. Slowly he leaned down to whisper in my ear, "something I should have done a long time ago."

Then he did the last thing I ever expected.

He kissed me.