Chapter 22

Tory's Pov

I stared at Agent J from across the mini coffee table inside his tent. He had brought me here after chaining my wrist to an iron stake attached to some kind of military vehicle. No escape for me. The chain wasn't exactly long enough though, so whenever someone tripped over the it, it jerked my wrist back. Of course I found out the hard way. I was still waiting for the front of my shirt to dry.

"Sorry for the. . . Inconvenience," Agent J stated, nodding to my shirt.
"What did you want to talk about?" I asked bluntly.
He took a sip of water, then set his cup down. "Straight to business, eh? I can work with that. Here's the honest truth- we want to make a deal with you."
I blinked. "If the deal includes being chained to a pole and wolf holograms, I'm afraid I'm out."
He chuckled. "Always the spirited one. The chains wouldn't be for you. From what I know, you are gathered with five of your companions."
I nodded. "The wolves are out in the woods somewhere."
"It's not the wolves I'm interested in. If I recall correctly, there are two others still out there?"
I paused. "Yes."

He stood and picked up a map from the small chest beside his cot. He spread it out on the table and used small stones to hold the corners down. Then he leaned back and picked up a Sharpie. He made an X on the map. "We're here." He made another circle farther away. "We believe that the two missing people are in this area." He put the cap back on the Sharpie. "What we're asking you to do, is to take a small location transmitter with you, find the location of the two missing people, and set off the signal. We'll take care of the rest."
My head spun. "What do I get out of it?"
"I understand that one of your friends is hurt. Help us, and not only will we stop following you, but we will also provide full medical care for your friend."
My heart stopped. Before I could think the words popped out of my mouth, "I'll do it."
He smiled. "I thought you would."

He stood up and began to tidy the table. I was about to stand when a vicious yank on the chain caused me to fall backwards. I heard giggling outside since I was still flaring. Growling, I tried to stand again, but again I was pulled down. I heard the giggles break into laughs. Agent J looked up. "Those are the rookies. Feel free to give them a taste of their own medicine. They could use some discipline."

I grinned. Crawling forward, I stopped at the edge of the tent and looked at the silhouettes of the people outside. There were two boys huddled over my chain. One bent down and jerked it again. When he dropped it, I gave two small flicks of my wrist so that then it made two loops. After a moment, the boys stepped away from the chain and began to walk away. Before they got far one foot of each person was placed in the holes my chain had made. I pulled with almost all my force- I wasn't trying to break their ankles or anything. The chain tightened around their ankles and pulled them to the ground. A surprised look came across their faces and a slew of curse words came out of their mouths are they fell on top of one another.

Agent J stepped over me and walked out to where the boys were. I could hear him scolding them and I couldn't help but to laugh. The chain on my wrist went slack and loosened. Looking up, I saw that Agent J had unhooked me from the military car. I got up and walked out after him. He unhooked the chain from my wrist and motioned for me to follow him. We began walking out into the woods. He held something out in his hand. It was a small black box with a blinking red light. I took it.

"Hold on to that. It's your location transmitter. When you want to send out the signal, just push down on the black button on the top," he instructed.
I nodded.
"It'll work twice."
"What's the second time for?"
"Second time is for when you find the missing people. First time is to show us the location of your group."

I paused and looked at him. "The location of our group?"
"Otherwise we can't help your friend, now can we?"
I nodded slowly. "Ok."