Chapter 9

Tory's Pov
"Light'em up."
We were down at the old government agency place, looking for clues as to where they might have taken Chance. A hidden note, audio recording and Shelton hacking Chance's computer led us here. Our eyes flared blue.
"I can't believe that that asshole went back on his word," Ben snarled. He was still mad about what we had found.

"Rescue now. Interrogation later," I snapped. He growled. I glared at him.
"Let's move," I ordered.

Swift as shadows, we ran down the slope to the abandoned building. Spreading out, I took the center. Speaking mentally, I ordered, Don't leave tracks. Jump through windows if you have to.

Careful to step only on stone and not sand, I slipped through the front door. Ben, Ella and Shelton followed my steps. It felt weird without Cooper. There was a loud thud to my left. Spinning, ready to attack, I saw Hi upside down on the floor, shirt covering his face like a cartoon character.

Hiram what are you doing? Ella asked
Tory said to go through the windows, he complained.
She said if you had to! And you didn't! Ben snapped.
On the contrary I absolutely had to. My mother doesn't let me enter the house by jumping through the windows and something tells me that Mr.Terezoni wouldn't allow me to enter math class like that. Hi responded.
You are the definition of an idiotic monkey. Ella said.
I'm feeling the love. Hi deadpanned.
What love? Shelton asked
Focus idiots. I snapped
Yes miss high lord of the universe and supreme ruler of our souls, Hi said getting up.
Don't mock me. And if you are then at least mock me right. I huffed. It would be high lady not lord.
Pardon me for not being up to scale, Hi said.
Pardoned. Now focus.

Done arguing, we moved throughout the building. We found nothing. Finally we reached the old room where we were first separated. We searching around and found... Nothing.

Check outside? Ella asked.
Why not? I responded.

We walked outside and saw nothing but a large cleared out field. Spreading out, we found nothing again. About ready to give up, Hi called us over. We all slid over to him to see what he found. In the ground was the slightest dent in the shape of a paw print.

Nice find Hi! I hi-fived him.
Guys. Shelton sounded nervous. I hear something. It's approaching fast.
What does it sound like? Ben demanded.
Um... A military vehicle? He said.
What? Ella mental-shouted.

Just then a bright search light shined directly on us. A voice boomed,"Freeze! We have you surrounded!"

We all stood back-to-back in a circle. Ben stood beside me and Ella on my other side. Men were all around us, pointing guns. The crowd around us spilt and two familiar figures walked through. Mustache and Buzz Cut. Mustache sneered and held out handcuffs. "Surrender?"

I glanced desperately around. But I knew there was no escape. Lowering my head, I stepped forward and held my hands out. Felt the cold metal cuffs tighten around my wrists.

I experienced a weird sense of déjà vu as I climbed into the military van with no idea what would happen to Coop or the rest of us. Ben sat down next to me and took my hand. "It'll be fine. We'll get out of this."

I looked up at him and felt tears come to my eyes. In a hardly audible voice,
I whispered "How?"