Chapter 3

Tory's Pov
Worry for my dog almost drove me to tears.
No, don't cry, I thought. Didn't work.

I squeezed my eyes shut and buried my face in Ben's chest. His strong arms wrapped around me and he gently rubbed my back. At times like this, I was really glad to have Ben as my boyfriend. After a few moments the commotion died down. I turned to face Chance, Ben's arms still wrapped around my waist. I took a deep breath and softly said,"Look Chance, the four of us have our flares back."
"Five." Ella's eyes were now a pale sky blue.
I nodded. "Don't mess around with this strain Chance. We don't need another repeat of the Trinity. Now if you'll excuse us, we need to go find my wolfdog."
----------------------•----------------------
I stood in my backyard looking for clues on where Coop had gone. So far I was finding nothing. Nada. Zilch. My temper began to rise. The wolf inside me snarled and snapped its chain. The flare tore through me. Fire raged till ice came and took control. A cold calm settled over me.

My eyes scoured the landscape and locked onto one point. Moving smoothly I grabbed the tiny slip of paper. It had been carefully wedged into the grass and was the same color. To the naked eye, it was a small green slip of paper with a black mark. To a viral eye, it was a note. In tiny letters the note read-
If you're reading this then you have discovered your flare Ms.Tory Brennan. We have your mutt. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. You pick.
Your old pal- Buzz Cut. (Ya I figured out the nickname you have for me)