Ch-77-Switch-?

.   .   .

"We were thinking, and I think now is a good time to say it. We were thinking of having you change schools."

"No!"

.   .   .

"What-?" Someone starts to ask but I cut them off. "I told Karter I wouldn't leave them, and I'm not going to." I say looking at my mom, then dad, dead in the eyes. "I get how you want to protect your friends but-"

"They're not just my friend!" I blurt out raising my voice once again. "Karter is my best friend, I felt this, this, connection when I meet them. Like I've known them for a while. And I'm not going to switch schools over a little bruise." I say lifting one hand showing if my bandages.

"Do you know how dangerous it is to leave Karter alone at school? Like right now!" I say loudly then remember to lower my voice again. I promised Karter I wouldn't leave them, and I'm not going to." I say looking them both dead in the eyes. I think I might be glaring to, but I don't care. I can't leave Karter, no, not again.

"What if we spoke to Karter's mom and asked if she was planning to have them switch schools too?" Mom suggested. I felt my face relax before freezing.

That's not a bad idea. She does have a point. But would she make Karter switch schools? Karter's mom hasn't made them switch schools yet, so probably not. It didn't sound like she cared much when Karter was hurt. But what if mom and dad suggested it to her? I don't think she'll like them, after all, they are parents to a trans kid. But what if they didn't say anything? What if they tried to fall hereunto sending Karter to the same school like mine? That way we can still be together. What if the new school is worse? I don't have to tell anyone I'm trans. Mom and dad would send me to a bad school, not on purpose. It's kinds of like a gamble. Either we stay and have it how it is. Or we gamble that Karter's mol will let them change schools. And also gamble that the new school is better. I mean, if there's hope?

"I can ask Karter at school tomorrow." I say I wasn't asking. If Karter was going to be involved I was going to get their permission first.

Mom and dad looked at each other, slightly nodded their heads, they looked back at me. "Thays a good idea." Dad smiled at me. Mom nodded. "And maybe you can get us their mom's phone number too?" Mom asked. "I'll ask that too." I say. Mom nods her head again.

It's silent for a bit. "Well, I'm going to go do homework now." I speak up. "How? You're not going to write with hands like that." Dad says gesturing to my hands. I sigh. "It doesn't hurt that bad." I wine. "I can still write." I hold up my hands and ball them into a fist making me wince a bit in pain.

Dad gives me a knowing look with an eyebrow raised. I look away shamefully. "I think your teachers will understand if you don't do your homework tonight. Just go relax." Mom says smiling at me. I nod my head and head up to my room. I start to wall up the stairs but stop when I hear whispers. I tiptoe a few steps closer to the living room to listen in.

"I really think he should leave that school as soon as possible." I hear mom say. "I do too, but we can't force him to switch schools," Dad says. "I know." Mom sighs. "And I'm all up for trying to get his friend to switch schools, but if they can't, I still want him to switch to." "I do too, but we have to think about how he would feel, leaving a friend. First, we should try to convince his friend's mother to make Karter switch schools." "But what if we can't?" "Let's not worry about that now." "I can't but worry about it, it determines whether or not Alex is going to switch schools." "Honey don't worry about that now. You know I love you right?" "I know, and I live you to."

Ok time to go. I tiptoe back to the stairs and silently walk up the stairs avoiding every piece of wood that might creak.

. . .