Ch-83-Attic-?

. . .

I hear a scratching sound above me so I look up and see the doot to an attic. I grab a laser in the closet and prop it against the shelves then start climbing up it to the attic door. I grab the rope attached to the door and pull it down.

.   .   .

When I pull the attic door down a familiar face is up in the attic.

"Karter?!" I yell.

Karter just sits up in the attic looking down at me surprised. The first thing I notice is that Karters left cheek is red. "Let's get you down." I quickly say then climb down the laser to let Karter climb down.

Karter slowly makes their way down the ladder. They look like they're shaking. There only on the top third step when they slip and fall. I quickly open my arms to latch Karter.

When I catch Karter I was expecting them to weigh a bit more but they felt light. At least I could catch Karter, but why were they so light?

"My parents are downstairs looking for you." I try to smile at Karter. Karter tries to get out of my hold on them but when they do that I see a bruise on their ankle. I hold Karter tightly to my chest. "Your hurt I can carry you." I say looking down at them sadly.

Karter looks away from me and lightly taps one hand that was under their legs and one hand that was holding up their back. I hold my breath when Karter taps my hands. I almost forgot about the pain. "I'm alright, it doesn't hurt anymore." You are in more pain than I am.

I walk over to the stairs and start walking down them carefully while holding Karter. I reach the bottom step when I hear a loud crash.

Karter wraps their arms around my neck and rests their head on my arm that's holding their back. I hug Karter in closer. "It's ok," I whisper into their ear, even if I didn't believe it myself.

I finish walking down the stairs as head to the front door not looking back, even when I hear another loud bang. On my way to the front door, someone stops me. "That's my son!" I turn around just to see how close they are towards me.

I recognize the lady as Karter's mom, and she's whiskey walking towards us. I see a blurry figure run out from behind a couch a tackle her to the ground. I first recognize the blondish hair. Then his fave when he looks at me. "Get out of here!" My dad yells grabbing the lady's arms behind her back while she laying flat on the floor. I nod and quickly run to the front door and open it.

"No!" I hear my mom yell from another room. I turn around and see a man running towards us. I quickly run out of the house and get back to our car. Except the car doors are locked.

The man I recognize as Karter's dad runs up to me and Karter. He grabs Karter's arm with one hand and places the other on my shoulder. "I'm only going to say this once kid." He says angrily at us. "You don't know what's going on, so give me my daughter back and stop trying to kidnap her." "No." Is all I say. The Mam growls and tried to pull Karter away from me.

He pulls Karter's arm off from around my neck while trying to push me away with his other hand on my shoulder. Karter falls from my hand onto their feet and yells in pain. "No!" Karter yells keeping their other arm wrapped around my neck.

I hug Karter with both of my arms. I place my left arm over Karter's right arm that was being pulled away to try and get them back. Karter is still struggling to get their arm back. "It's ok Karter." I whisper into their ear even tho neither of us believed that. "I'll stay with you." I said.

The man grabs Karter's other arm and tries to pull the say from me. I keep my hold on Karter, holding on for their dear life. Karter's arms are lifted up causing Karter's feet to rise above the ground. I keep my arms wrapped around Karter's torso and am raised to my tippy toes. Karter wrapped their legs around my knees. I tighten my hold around Karter as tight as I can not letting them go.

"Help!" I yelled when my hold on Karter started to slip. Karter heard my yell and also let pit their own painful yell. "Help!"

I felt my feet touch the ground again and the force that was pulling Karter away stopped. Karter fell back into my grasp. Karter places their feet back on the ground and wrapped their arms around me into a tight hug. I didn't let go, but I did loosen my hold a bit to hug Karter more comfortably.

I looked around while still holding Karter curious about what had happened. The man that was trying to take Karter away from me was in pulled back my dad and mom. Then a police officer ran over and helped pin the man to the ground and put handcuffs on him.

"He's going to jail." I whispered into Karter's ear. Karter moved their head slightly to see their "father" being arrested. I felt Karter move their head some more than freeze. I looked in the direction Karter was looking. In the driveway was a police car with their "mother" sitting in the back. There was a total of two police cars and an ambulance.

I sighed. "At least they got my call in time." I mumbled. Karter looked at me frowning and I tried to smile at them. "Don't worry, everything will get better."

Is what I believed.

Like problems with your parents can vanish just because they're gone.

. . .