Chapter 23

Kian called me about seven times the other day, and I ignored every single one of them.

Angry didn't explain my feelings. Angry was just what it appeared to be. Underneath, it was so much more.

It was hurt, betrayal, and fear.

I was hurt that Kian all of us sudden seemed oh-so-desperate to talked to me after yelling at me about me being too clingy.

I felt betrayed from the conversation Kian and I had.

I was scared that something was wrong and that that was why he kept calling me, but I couldn't bring myself to answer.

A few more days pass and I don't hear another thing from him.

"Christopher!" I sing in a high voice, wheeling over to where he sits in a high chair. I place some Cheerios on the tray in front of him before tapping his nose.

Today I was definitely in a good mood. The reason behind it I wasn't sure of, but I managed to push all doubts and thoughts of Kian away and I let myself enjoy relaxing time with Christopher. Later today, Audrey is planning on visiting and helping me do some laundry and cleaning.

*****

"So when do you go to the doctor?" My dad asks, handing me one of the plates he just rinsed off.

After my day with Audrey, we decided that we should go back to her and my father's house and have dinner after he got home from work. This was of course an attempt to get me out of the house again; it worked.

"I think in like two weeks," I tell him, continuing the line of work and placing the dish into the dishwasher.

"Will you get your cast off?"

"No, but they might give me a new wrap or something," I reply, wiping my hands off on a kitchen towel since we are done with dishes.

"Okay! I found a movie for us to watch!" Audrey calls from the living room. Dad grabs the handles of the wheelchair and pushes me into the other room where Audrey sits on the couch with Christopher.

When dad situates my chair next to Audrey's corner of the couch, he sits next to her and drapes an arm around him. As weird as it is to say, I'm glad he actually looks like he's in love rather than how he was with my old step-loser of a woman.

Audrey begins to play a movie that came out around ten to twelve years ago called frozen, which was my favorite disney movie of all time and still is. I was absolutely obsessed with it when it came out. I'm a little more calm with my obsession now, but it's definitely still a favorite of mine.

About halfway through the movie, the part where Anna and Elsa are singing the reprise of For the First Time in Forever, my cell phone starts vibrating against the countertop in the kitchen. Audrey gets up to get it and I look at her expectantly as she brings it back over.

"Who is it?" I ask her, raising my eyebrows. The look on her face is neutral.

"Kian," she tells me, holding my phone out.

"No thanks, I'm gonna ignore it," I reply.

"Oh, come on, answer him!" She encourages, handing me my phone.

"I don't really-"

"Madison, you haven't talked to him in like a week!"

"Six days, actually," I remark quietly.

"Just answer it!"

"Fine," I say, giving in. I put the phone in my lap and wheel to the kitchen so I can talk in private.

"Hello?" I say as soon as I answer. I wait for a response but all I get is heavy and ragged breathing. "Kian?" I ask, panic setting in.

What if something has been wrong and I've been ignoring him all this time? What if he's hurt?

"Madison," he croaks, his voice barely recognizable.

"Kian, what's wrong?" I ask, my panic and worry increasing.

"Madison, I-I," he stutters, his voice sounding broken. Has he been crying? "Maddie, the other n-night, I..."

He doesn't continue for a while, the only sounds to be heard his breathing.

"Kian," I say with a command in my tone.

"Maddie, I messed up," he says quickly, the volume of his voice low.

My stomach turns in an unpleasant way. "Messed up?"

"Yeah, I really messed up," he says, his voice cracking with fear. I feel for him, wondering what's got him all worked up.

"What is it, Kian? Just tell me," I say softly, unsure of what is going to be said.

"The other night..." He starts, his talking slow and unsure. Already my mind is running thousands if possibilities.

For a second, the thought hat he cheated crosses my mind. It scares me but I quickly brush it of, knowing that he wouldn't ever do something like that.

"I went to a bar, and I got..." He doesn't finish, but I know that he must have gotten wasted.

I wait for him to continue, not wanting to interrupt the thoughts that must be going through his head.

"Maddie," he says, his voice now urgent and loud. "I didn't mean to I wasn't thinking straight at all. I had so much to drink and I let things go too far."

As soon as too far reaches my ears, my heart drops and I feel sick.

"Kian," I whisper, not sure if he even heard my voice.

"Maddie, I'm sorry," he says, his voice quiet again.

"What did you do?" I ask, fear overriding my voice, causing it to sound harsh.

"I-I...I kissed her," he says slowly.

My heart stops beating.

I close my eyes, trying to push back the sting in my nose that tells me I'm going to cry.

He didn't. He wouldn't.

How did he let this happen?

I thought I could trust him.

"Maddie?"

I can't reply. I just sit there.

"Maddie, please, I didn't mean to it just happened and she came on to me and I-"

"Kian, stop," I whisper, halting his words. I don't want to hear his voice anymore. "Just stop."

Without another word, I press the end button on my phone, turning it off and leaving it in the kitchen. I wipe away my tears and push away my emotions before returning to my family in the living room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys! So I know it's a day late but as of right now and on, I will not be scheduling updates because it's a lot of pressure for an AP student that has exams and a lot of homework so I'm sorry. This is of course my main book so it will be updated most often so don't think I'll ignore this. I will still update my other books but only on free time after this book.

If you want to, yaknow only if you want to...you could read the beginnings of my other books (aka my 5sos ones) because I'd really appreciate feedback and votes! I have been adding y'all's stories to my list and my library so if you guys want to read some other O2L ones go check out that list. If you want your book on the list send me the link. I might not have time to read it but I can at least help you out by adding it to a public list :)

So anyway, what's up with you guys?

Who's seen all the drama about zerrie. It's breaking my heart

I hope you all are lovely and I'm here if you need me!

Love you guys!

xox -Delilah