Chapter 25

~5 Weeks Later~

"And that's about it! Are you feeling any pain?" The doctor asks, giving me a smile.

I shake my head, the only thing I'm feeling being excitement.

"Alright then! We'll stand up now and see how you feel," she tells me, standing in front of me. The doctor offers me her hand and I grab a tight hold of it.

This is it. I've been waiting weeks for this.

Finally, I take a deep breath and slowly edge myself off of the patient table in the doctor's office. I first put my left foot on the ground. Then, ever so gently, I place my next foot on the ground.

The feeling I get when all of my weight is on both of my feet is strange. It seems so foreign to me, and it shocks me how I seemed to forget what actually standing felt like.

Once I gain my balance, I slowly let go of the doctor's arms and stand on my own.

"How do you feel?" She asks me, bright smile on her face.

"I feel amazing," I say, giddy with excitement. I'm so happy to finally be on my feet.

"Good! I need you to walk from this end of the room to the door and back," she tells me.

I do as told, walking slowly. I want to open the door when I reach it and start sprinting down the hallway, but I know I'll have plenty of time for that later.

When I finish walking, the doctor smiles and writes a follow up before sending me on my way. I nearly run all the way to the waiting room where Audrey and Christopher are. I burst through the door and see Audrey sitting in a chair and Christopher sitting on the ground playing with a toy.

"Oh, Maddie!" Audrey exclaims, grinning at me as she stands up. I rush towards her, swooping Christopher up in my arms. I hug Audrey, overwhelmed with excitement.

"Having two legs feels great!" I tell her, grinning and I pull Christopher closer to me on my hip.

"Let's go to the park and get those legs working! Sound good?" She asks, smiling.

"Absolutely! Let's stop home first and get some running shoes," I say, heading towards the exit of the doctor's office.

On the ride back to my house, I think of all the things I can do now. I can move my stuff back upstairs, I can cook properly, I can take showers easier. Everything will just get easier.

When we pull up in front of my house, I hop out of Audrey's car and tell her that I'll be back in a second. I push the key through the lock of the front door, opening the door. I swing it open and nearly drop my keys and cell phone onto the floor when I see the house. Fear immediately takes over.

I look around, taking in every detail of my surroundings.

Everything is out of place. The couch cushions have been thrown across the room and the couch is on it's back. The side tables are knocked over with the drawer contents on the floor. The rug is flipped and overlaps itself. The dining room chairs are knocked over and as I venture into the kitchen, I see that the cabinets are all open and the contents are sprawled all over the floor and counters. Thankfully there is no glass broken that I can see, but everything is out of place and strewn all over the place.

The fear I feel heightens. I unlock my phone and dial 911 but do not hit the call button. Then, I walk to the sink and reach into the open cabinet below it, hoping my only defense wasn't taken from it's hiding spot. A flood of relief swarms me when my fingers touch the handle of the small handgun. Kian bought this and taught me how to use it three years ago for situations just like this.

I climb the stairs slowly and quietly, staying to the edge of the stairs. I hold the gun stiffly against my side like I was taught. Just thinking about pointing this gun at someone scares me, even if they are an intruder.

As I reach the top of the stairs, I hear a soft rustling coming from what used to be my bedroom before I had to move downstairs. I suck in a deep breath.

Could I actually shoot someone if they threatened me? I doubt my hands could stay steady for that long.

What if they have a gun? Possibilities run through my mind and I know I'm doomed.

I take another large but quiet breath before rounding the corner and entering my bedroom to face the intruder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And just when you thought you knew what was going I happen next, Delilah throws a wrench in the plot.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN.

I decided a double update was appropriate today. Yay.

So:

1) the intruder will surrender and Maddie will call the cops

2) the intruder will have a gun

3) the intruder and Maddie will fight

4) Maddie will get kidnapped

5) the intruder is just a freakishly large dog snooping through stuff and it got in the back door

Until next time!

Thank you for being so loyal, my loves :)

xox -Delilah