Chapter 42

That kiss happened way too soon but I cannot stop thinking about it, the way he cupped my cheek delicately and used his other arm to wrap around my waist and pull me a little closer, close enough to kiss me softly but not too close that it would make me uncomfortable. And my goodness, the way he stared at me when he broke the kiss just to place another one. Even the-

“I got a meat lovers pizza, one chocolate and banana milkshake and coffee for me,” Sebastian impressively placed the items on his kitchen table.

“I could have helped you know,” I said, feeling awkward at him doing most of the work.

“Don’t worry about it,” Sebastian smiled. “So I kind of just picked my favorite milkshake and I am now kicking myself for doing something that seems so chauvinistic”.

“Well I do like chocolate, so I might like it with the banana,” I said reassuringly but doubting I would like anything with banana in it. Nevertheless, while he watched me, I took a small sip.

“Okay, that is good,” I moaned. They added chocolate syrup which pairs perfectly with the banana.

“You should try the pizza with it,” He suggested.

We fell into a comfortable silence as we ate. I could feel him stealing quick glances at me and I tried not to do the same.

“So…”

“So…”

We both chuckled nervously.

“That kiss,” I started bravely.

“Never should have happened,” He interrupted. “I should have been more professional.”

“Professional,” I repeated. “Right.”

My disappointment was clear but he didn’t pretended not to have noticed and I was grateful. I kept drinking my milkshake to hide my embarrassment but I was highly aware of him watching me intently.

“You have something on your…” He cleared his throat and brought his thumb gently to the edge of my lip and scrapped off what I assumed was the pizza sauce. I felt him watching me so I tilted up my head and held his gaze. His eyes were an electrifying blue that sent shock waves down my spine but I stayed trapped, the only thing moving was my fast paced heartbeat.

His hot breath fanned my neck and the scent of coffee made my insides burn. I let out a breath I had not realized I had been holding and the action made his eyes slightly glaze over.

“No, stop.” I said finally.

“I do not know what is going on here but,” I paused. “I do not have time to be confused by you Sebastian.”

“I do not intend on confusing you Blaire,” he looked at me and then ran his hands through his hair in frustration.

“I can’t explain it,” He breathed out. “And I know this sounds like a pick up line but I promise you I cannot explain to you why I tell you we should remain professional one minute and I can’t stay away from you the next.”

 He stood up abruptly like he was going to leave and then turned around. “And believe me, I am a rational person and hardly ever flustered but you leave me stymied.”

His words should have completely taken me off my feet but they just made me realize even more, what I am supposed to do. Against what my heart wanted, I surprised myself by saying, “We barely know each other and we are having a child together, I think it is best that we focus on that.”

There was a brief silence and I could feel the disappointment radiating off the both of us, but we knew it was the right thing to do.

************

An hour into talking with Sebastian and I could already tell that we make good friends. He was easy to talk to and very respectful despite our differences.

“So now all we have to do is sort out the legal part of it all,” Sebastian said while we ate dinner that he had made saltimbocca, he cooks way better than I do.

“You are not trying to get full custody here are you?” I teased.

He coughed awkwardly and avoided my eyes.

“Excuse me?” I asked almost shrieking.

He chuckled, “You are too easy to prank.”

He reached out to hold my hand and clasped it tightly, but not tight enough to make me uncomfortable. “I do not plan to take this baby away from you, I plan to raise it with you.”

“Thank you, Sebastian.”

“I know this part is a touchy subject, but we still need to discuss the living situation,” Sebastian brought up carefully. “You have seen my place, I have enough room for you and the baby, maybe even a nanny if required and I promise that you two will live comfortably here.”

“I do not doubt that,” I said. “I just cannot uproot my life right now, it would be selfish and I realize that now.”

“If it is about Anna, there is more than enough room for the both of you.” He assured.

“That’s generous, but I do not think I can put her through that right now,” I said. “I am really sorry Sebastian but maybe we can find a way to compromise.”

I could tell by the look on his face that he is the type to get what he wants and will fight like hell if he doesn’t. The look on his face started to grow a bit angrier and a small part of me felt afraid.

“You are right, I am being generous,” He said, a little more sinister than I would like.

“It would not take much to gain full custody of my child Blaire, I have that much power,” He moved his hand to take my plate and then paused once his hand landed on it. “We both know that I make the better parent, especially financially.”

“I grew up without my father around as much, I do not plan on doing that to my own child. My terms have been more than favorable and I think you agree. I beg you to see reason here, I am offering you free living and money, how can you turn that down?”

“Ï grew up in money, so yours does not impress me, I get by just fine on my own and so I am more than capable of raising a child.” I shot back.

“How do you even pay for all this? The school and your upkeep, the apartment?” He asked. “Do you even have a job?”

“My grandparents left me a good sum of money, it helps me get by and it will continue helping me until after my degree and I find employment,” I said.

“Wow,” He snickered, “You do not even make your own money? You’re just as spoiled as you think I am.”

“And we are not the same by the way,” he continued. “Unlike you, I am make my own money, through working, that’s what independence looks like. I do not need my parent’s money and if I were to somehow lose everything, my education and experience alone would land me a good job.”

I felt stung. “I guess you are right.”

“But seeing how you are right now with me, that is a clear indication that living here with you would be just like living with my parents,” I said. “I want to be respected as a parent, I am sure we can work out a schedule to be with the baby that works for the both of us.”

“Yeah, that you live here,” He said.

“Don’t be unreasonable Sebastian,” I rolled my eyes.

“I am being anything but Blaire,” He retorted.

“Maybe we should involve our lawyers,” I said softly, not sure of what to do next.

“Maybe,” He agreed. “But we both know that this fight you are starting, is one you are going to lose.”

I looked around at his gorgeous place and could only imagine how much it cost. This was a fight that I seemed to have already lost. How did we get from kissing to this?

*******
You were patient and I am immensely grateful❤️
Enjoy and vote❤️