Chapter 38 #breakup

Sebastian

"It is guaranteed profit," I said. "Enough to sustain your company for the foreseeable future."

I rose to my feet, an indication that the meeting was over and stuck out my hand for Ryan McAlister to shake.

"That sounds good to me," He grinned. He stood up and took my hand. "I will have to show my father our final agreement and I will have the contract sent to your office by next week."

I nodded my head in approval and moved towards the door to escort him out. He followed me briskly then paused at the edge of the door.

"You know I appreciate all that you are doing to ensure our company's success," He hesitated. "But you sure are making a lot of effort not to marry my sister."

I almost choked on air. "I am sorry?"

"With this," he gestured to the papers in his hands. "A merger would be pointless and so would the marriage our parents had planned since you two were in diapers."

"Have you told her?" He asked before I could respond to his first statement.

"I am not a hopeless romantic but an arranged marriage sounds cold and impersonal"

"Even for you?" he coughed and I widened my eyes, confused. I had grown up with Ryan showing me both copious amounts of respect and also indifference. I realized the only reason he had to interact with me was the relationship our fathers had built and how it affected our inheritance. Ryan, until now, had never shown any interest in my engagement to his sister and definitely not my character.

"I am sorry," I said calmly. "I do not know what you are insinuating."

"I am insinuating," he mocked. "That you are a cold bastard who has no regard for anyone's feelings, including your own Fiancée's apparently."

"That is not fair, Blaire knows-" I started but was interrupted by my fiancée as she casually walked into my office, standing at the door to give Ryan a hug before she came over to me to give me a warm kiss on the cheek. With Ryan watching us intently, I lightly flinched at her touch, my eyes quickly meeting Ryan's eyes to see if he had caught it and judging by the slight scowl on his face, he had.

"Blaire knows what?" Blaire asked. She was clearly in a good mood, dressed in a white summer dress that would have showed a lot of back but was hidden by her blonde lustrous hair as it cascaded well past her shoulders. She usually kissed me on the cheek when she had on lipstick, so that she could easily wipe it off if she left a mark. Today she wore a dark red lipstick which only highlighted her gleamingly white teeth more. It saddened me when I observed her like this because it made me realize that the guy who should be taking all this in is a guy who loved her passionately.

Lost in my thoughts, I failed to see Ryan's accusing expression and the silence that followed Blaire's question till Ryan decided to speak up. I had always perceived Ryan as a self-regarding rich kid, which is why I was surprised at his sudden need to protect Blaire.

"Our companies are not going through with the merger because Sebastian here found a loophole," He snarkily remarked. "No merger, no marriage."

She looked at me and didn't question what Ryan said, because deep down she knew but I could tell she felt betrayed that I did not tell her first.

"Well," Ryan smirked. "That is my queue to leave" the jerk.

He walked triumphantly out the door before saying goodbye to my secretary.

I sighed and closed the door after him. Blaire walked towards the couch near my collection of alcohol and poured herself a scotch before sitting down. I could not tell what she was thinking, the only movement she made was to gulp her drink and slide an ice into her mouth to crush it, a habit that still annoyed me as I cringed at every crunch.