XXX

I grabbed my keys off the hook going to the front door. "You have everything right?" Mel asked watching me put down my duffel bag. "Yep." I said. I could tell he was so sad that I would be leaving but it wasn't even going to be for that long. "It'll only be barely two days, plus you'll come see me." I said. "I know." He mumbled pulling me towards him. "That's still not gonna stop me from missing you." He said before leaning in kissing me. His hand went to my face deepening the kiss slightly making me almost lose my balance. I caught myself, putting my hands on his waist. He pulled away sliding his free hand to my lower back. "Call me when you get there." He said. "Of course." I said softly. I wrapped my arms around his neck hugging him feeling his arms wrap around my waist tightly. I stayed there for a minute always loving the feeling of being in his arms. I pulled away kissing him once more before picking up my bag.

I said my goodbyes to him walking out the door. I rode the elevator down leaving the building going to my car. It was going to be a longer drive than I was used to so I went to fill up my tank making sure I got a few snacks for me. I sighed lightly as I started up my car again ready to finally get on the road.

***

It was already morning the next day and I had settled in to the hotel room I was staying in. It was a really nice hotel and the staff were nice to me when I checked in. Today there was a planned dinner to go to to celebrate me and others who worked with us that got an award. I was looking forward to seeing my colleagues and had hoped it would be a fun night.

I looked over at my phone hearing it ding. I picked it up seeing a text from Mel telling me good morning. It was almost eight in the morning so I was glad he was awake to go to work because it usually took him longer to get up when he didn't hear me around the room. I replied to the message sitting my phone back down going to figure out what I wanted to do today afterwards. I would have to get out my clothes for tonight but before that I want to go eat breakfast and visit this art supply store I saw on the way here. I pulled on sweat shorts and a tshirt not really wanting to get dressed just to go out for what I assumed would be such little time. I grabbed my keys and purse walking out the door going down the elevator out the lobby to my car.

I drove to a nearby cafe kind of spot where they sold breakfast. There was one I'd been to before back at home and I wanted to try something I hadn't ordered before from there. It was a plus that it was on the same street as the art supply store I wanted to go to. I sat at a table near the window of the cafe after placing my order of some kind of breakfast sandwich. Surprisingly this was very calming for me just being alone. Even though I loved hanging with Mel and being around him he was smothering at times so I was happy to have this time for myself. I could feel myself starting to get annoyed with him a lot more lately so being away from each other for this short time was fine with me.

After finishing the food I got I walked out of the cafe going to the art supply store hoping they were open. I walked to the door seeing it was open but there were few people inside. Probably three people in random sections. I walked inside going to the first thing that caught my eye which was some water color pens. I'd always wanted to try using these. I looked at the different selection of them thinking for a minute lost in the debate in my head over if I should get them or not. As I picked up one pack of them I heard someone saying something.

"Personally I would get the Arteza brand they work really well." They said. I looked over seeing a man with a buzz cut and a hoodie on. He was brown skin and had a neck tattoo that stood out to me. "You new to the store? I've never seen you in here before." He said flashing a smile at me. "I was actually considering that brand and yea I just came here to visit." I said giving him a small smile to be nice. He looked at me like he was picking apart every feature on my face. I looked away back down at the water color pens I was picking up reaching for the Arteza brand instead. "You mind telling me why you're here to visit?" He asked. "Huh?" I said looking back up at him furrowing my eyebrows. It was weird to me for a stranger to first come up to me randomly and then ask about my business. "I'm sorry not trying to be weird or anything, you just look so familiar but I can't really put my finger on it." He said quickly.