Chapter 1

It happened two years ago in late November. It was dark out, the sky clouded over blocking the stars out. The street lights glowed casting sharp shadows across the dark cobbled streets.

                Liam, my twin brother, and I were sent to get a chippy. I was carrying the food while Liam sauntered along next to me with his apparent swag.

It was only when we turned onto the street that we lived in at the time that we saw the smoke billowing through the dark sky from our family run shop. Fire was erupting from everywhere, up the side of the doors, the shattered windows.

                When I saw a figure stumbling forwards coughing and spluttering dragging someone with them I shot forwards knowing instantly that it was my best friend Dean with my mum. I don’t know when I dropped the food but I had and all I could think about was getting to the boy whose clothes had caught alight. He was my best friend so of course I was going to go and help him out.

                Someone else went to my mum to help her and get her taken care of.

                I had yanked the zipper down on Dean’s hoodie, pulling it off I ignored the fact that his hands were badly burnt. All I needed was to get rid of the burning hoodie. The top was also alight for I pulled it off his body quickly causing him to moan in pain. Once it was off I looked to see the front left side of his torso scorched a red colour and turned him around to see the damage on his back. it was the same flaming red colour and instantly I was scared to touch him in case of hurting him.

I had ignored the fact that my mum was being taken in an ambulance but I didn’t want to notice that because I know if I did then I’d have broken down for sure.

                It turns out that I was crying and yet he wasn’t and he was the one in pain. He’d taken my hand in his burnt one and said that everything was going to be ok, that he was ok and it calmed me because it was him telling me but deep down I knew it wasn’t all going to be ok, it just wasn’t…