Chapter 11

A beeping rings in my ears and something is compressing my head together. I don’t know what either is but when I can’t open my eyes I start to panic. I can feel someone’s hand on mine, squeezing my fingers in a reassuring way and I instantly recognise it as Dean’s death like grip.

After struggling for what seems like hours I manage to open my eyes. The vision I have at the start is blurry and takes a few minutes to steady but when it does I turn my head to see Dean sitting at my side, head down on top of our entwined hands. Something wet and warm drips onto my fingers and when he looks up again I see that he’s crying. His brown puppy eyes widen when he sees me, probably because I’m awake. His hair is a mess, as if he’s been riding. His eyes are red and his face blotchy. He licks his lips while looking at me, one of his many habits when he’s nervous and not too sure what to do or say. I lick my own lips too though, his habit spread to me a while ago and it doesn’t help mine feel dry.

“Sophie, I am so, so sorry. Are you ok?” he mumbles his voice quiet as he leans in closer to me, his hair flopping down over his face, covering his right eye.

“Ye… yeah, what happened?” I ask, my voice coming out raspy and unused.

“You went for a ride, fell off, I found you like a couple of hours later coz of school an all. I brought you back to the yard and then got you here.” He explains while gripping my hand harder which I grip with the same tightness.

“Thank you.” I utter looking at him, pulling at his hand to get his to lean forwards and when he does I throw my arms around him, not realising there’s a needle in my hand until it jabs me more than it is. “Ahh!”

“Careful, don’t kill yourself.” He smirks but then he sees my face which must show the panic that’s coursing through my body, if there’s one thing I hate most in the world it’s needles. “ It’s not going to kill you Sophie, you’ll be ok.”

“Uh huh, right, because it doesn’t have the power to?” I mumble glaring at where the needle is sticking into my hand.

“Hey, look at me. It’s not going to kill you. Nothing is going to kill you, nothing.” He whispers looking at me with those big brown eyes while trying to reassure me, his fingers squeezing mine.

“You… you might.” I whisper causing his face to contort with confusion. “We can’t go back to how we’ve been. I can’t do it.”

“Wait, so you’ll forgive me?” he murmurs face showing his shock and confusion and a glimmer of happiness and hope.

“Yes but I’m not going to pretend it didn’t hurt that you went from me to that slut.” I say trying not to grumble but it ends up coming out exactly like that.

“What you saw, right? It wasn’t exactly what it was. I was walking down the corridor and she sorta pounced on me. And me being my stupid idiotic self kissed her back. And that’s when you came along.” I can tell by his face, and his voice, that he means this. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still pissed off but hey, he’s my best friend and right now I don’t care, it’s not as bad as it seemed at least. And he might have just sorta saved my life finding me when he did so I owe him.

“Right, ok. Just forget the whole thing then, I can’t cope without you with me. It’s like Tom and Jerry without Jerry.” I smirk at the ridiculousness of it and laugh when he laughs but that’s when I realise that my side hurts, where my ribs are and round to my back. It hurts to laugh.

“You’re so weird.” He smirks adding, “Are you ok?”

“Yeah, it just hurts to laugh, or move.” I mumble when I move trying to hide a wince of pain because knowing Dean, and his worried face, he doesn’t need to know I’m in pain.

“I’ll go get a doctor for you.” He says and before I can even so much as open my mouth to tell him not to he’s up and leaving the room. The door swings closed behind him making the room seem much quieter than before. Leaning back on the bed, I heave a painful sigh and start to wait.

______________________________________________________________________

i love Dean, what you guys thinking?