Chapter 13

Dean and I are currently sitting playing cards waiting for something interesting to happen like for it to be tea time or for someone to come and visit like Dad or Liam. It’s half four so the bus will only just be getting home right now so we have a while for Liam and Dad will still be working.

The hospital is so boring. We’ve watched two films, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, because both Dean and I love them. It does help that Josh Hutcherson is fit, very fit or in Dean’s case he’d say Jenifer Lawrence.  And so now we’re playing rummy, the only card game we like and the one that we get competitive over because we’re so busy trying to get one over on each other.

“I win… three threes and ace, two, three and four.” I smirk throwing my cards down when I pick up the last card I need.

“You had the one I needed! That’s cheating! It’s mine now, I win!” he moans before picking up the card from my pile and putting his ones down with the stolen one.

“Cheat!” I start to pick the cards up at the same time Dean does and his hand ends up on top of mine. It’s seriously like in the movies.

He could move his hand if he wants but he doesn’t and neither do I. I flicker my eyes up to his just as he looks at me. We’re both silent and don’t move for a minute and when we do move, it’s to move forwards towards each other. He’s sitting across from me on the bed, the cards were between my legs and he was sitting cross legged at my feet but now he’s moving towards me and weirdly, I’m moving forwards. Maybe it’s not weird for me because I’ve sort of been thinking what would it be like for him to kiss me again?

Stuff this, I want him to kiss me. I don’t know why but I do and when he’s close enough to me I let my lips meet his. He pulls away after a second though looking at me with confusion.

“You’re not gonna hate me after this are you?” he asks his lips moving against mine as he speaks softly, big brown eyes staring straight into mine.

“No.” I whisper back before his lips are on mine again. It’s a softer sort of kiss than our usual ones. And even though it’s softer he puts more passion into it and so do I. I don’t know what I’m doing. I don’t kiss guys like this. But then he’s the only guy I’ve kissed but still. This feels as if I’m putting all of my emotions out on the line and I don’t want him to know I like him in any way like this. Just like I get the impression he’s holding something back to but showing whatever it is through this kiss.

As I lift my hand to his hair and neck, I pull on my ribs making me pull away from him and suck in a painful breath. Ok, so the downside is that and the pain. The painkillers have worn off again and it hurts.

My hand is on his shoulder still though and it’s on the sore side which is probably making it worse. My other hand holds my side while he sits looking helplessly at me letting his hand reach up and hold mine on his shoulder comfortingly.

“Okay?” he asks after a minute or so when I’m just about normal feeling again, me pulling my hand down with his and before he can take it away I entwine our fingers together so he take my other one and does the same.

“Okay.” I say smiling a little at him when I look up. We both smile at the same time, me thinking of the brilliant reference to TFIOS. We’re so good together, this is why we are best friends.

Dean:I smile at Sophie when she says okay back to me, that was a totally epic reference to The Fault in Our Stars and she knows it.

And despite our good reference I can’t help but be worried about her. She keeps having these sort of moments and I don’t know why. It’s weird and I don’t know what to think about it. And it’s not like it’s always when she’s running out of painkillers. I mean, she has the now obviously but I don’t know, it’s as if she doesn’t do well with them, as if her body can’t take them but what do I know? I’m not a doctor but I am her best friend and I’m gonna have to tell someone.

Just as I’m about to say something to break the silence the door opens to reveal a nurse and Louis? What? Why? Why is this douchebag here? We were in the middle of a moment.

I can’t help but notice something in Sophie’s eyes when she sees it’s him. I don’t know what it is. Happiness maybe but it doesn’t look like her usual, oh, you’re here, lets party! That’s the look she gives me, this is a more fake and put on one as in I’m happy you’re here and all but really? That’s the look Louis is getting, I just want to laugh in his face but I want to know why he’s getting the look like that because her body looks almost rigid now, as if something is going to happen.

“Hey…” Louis says coming over to sit beside the bed. He gives me a nod, the sign of you’re on, or that’s what I take it as. He doesn’t look happy to see me not that I am him either but still. I can kinda get it though when Sophie has been as cut up as she’s looked this week because of me and getting to moan to him.

“Hi.” Sophie says with a grim smile, ok, I am not boasting but he only got a hi. That’s always a bad sign with her unless it’s me, she gets bored with hey’s and stuff coz we say hi and hey way too much.

“I’ll go get us a drink?” I ask looking at her questioningly, raising my eyebrows.

“Sure, thanks Beany.” She smirks, that’s a first of hearing that nickname for a while. It’s nice hearing her say it the way it rolls of her tongue as if it’s the most natural thing to ever say and I suppose it sorta is.

“No probs, Soph.” I smirk, there is no way I am going to say her normal nickname in front of Louis, no way. I can see from the look she gives me that she gets it and when Louis isn’t looking at her she makes an ‘uh, help me Dean!’ after a last smirk at her I leave the room, glaring at the side of Louis’s head as I leave, we were in the middle of a moment and he had to ruin it, he just had to.