Chapter 24

I wake up when the door opens slowly. That's all that happens these days, the door opening slowly. But then again, life is always slow now. And always boring and filled with either Dad or Liam trying to get me out of bed and back into life but I can't help but think what He said was true. Because it is true, I'm worthless and not worth the bother. I am ugly and any guy would be unlucky to have me.

And all there ever is, is boys around me. It doesn't help me that they always remind me of Him. They always speak in low voices that have a threat behind them and they don't even notice.

Another thing is that they are keeping my best friend away from me, the one person that can actually help me, Dean. I can't function without him. It feels as if I've had my heart ripped out without him this week, the one week that I've needed him. And the worst thing is, it isn't even his fault.

"Hey Soph." a voice sounds over everything, over the dead silence, over my breathing, over their own breathing. The voice is loud and not quiet like what Dad's and Liam's have been like. That's the only reason I look up, because I know it isn't them.

"Dean?" I ask almost uncertain starting to struggle to sit up.

"Yeah, it's me. Only Lola knows I'm here." He smiles starting to walk over, not slowly and patronisingly but normally with his normal swag. Okay, so maybe it's not his normal swag, he looks too tired to do it, too tired to do anything else, even his smile is strained and not reaching his eyes.

Slowly, I stand up and walk over to him before throwing my arms around him and burying my face into his shoulder. His arms wrap around me at my lower back. His face goes into my hair and he holds me for a few minutes, his breath blowing my limp hair.

"I've missed you." I mumble into his shoulder pulling back a little to look up at him, his brown eyes catching mine and holding me there hostage and unable to move, even if I want to, I don't think I could.

"I've missed you too." He whispers, we're so close right now. His nose is touching mine and my involuntary shaking that's never seemed to stop since I was with him last time has stopped. It feels as if it was months ago though but then any time between us being apart feels like years and this time has been worse.

"You're gonna be dead if they find you up here..." I say letting my fingers weave into his dark hair.

"Do you wanna come to mine? Mum won't mind and we can hang out? I have the car with me." he smiles one of his 'I'm not thinking but I don't care what the consequences are' smiles, the devil smile that I've missed soo much. It's the one that always makes me fall for him, damn, I never wanted to admit that, not even to myself. Although it is true, that's the one smile that I always fall for.

One thing for sure though, is that one thing that these two weeks have done is let me think. I refuse to let myself near guys again. I don't care if I have Dean. I don't care if he's never hurt me intentionally. All I'm letting myself do with him is be his best friend. He doesn't want more than that anyway which is a good thing because in the last week and a bit I've tried to build up a wall that's not going to come down anytime soon. It's designed to stay up and not let me get hurt again, not let this happen again.

"You sure? That'd be great. I'm fed up of Liam and Dad always being here." I reply pulling away before heading over to the bed where my shoes are lying on the ground next to it.

I pull my shoes on before standing up slowly and painfully to look at him.

"Let's go, you can stay at mine and we can watch movies, catch up and stuff. Oh, and we're gonna pig out!" he smirks and for the first time in weeks I feel hungry. I feel the growling in my stomach and the pain, the weakness. "Sure you're up to eating though Soph? You look like you've not eaten much..."

"Yeah, I could say the same about you." I smile grabbing his hand and dragging him to the door where I pull him down the stairs.

"Yeah well, I've not had my pizza buddy." He sends me a grin; eyes alight, as he pulls me forwards to the front door.

We head out, making a run out of the house and to his car. All I can hear is Liam shouting my name down the yard to me but I don't listen, instead I get into the car and grin at Dean whose doing the same to me.

"I'm glad I've got you back Sophie, I've missed you." He grins to me with seriousness.

"I'm glad I've got you back, I've missed you!" I grin before he starts the car and drives to his house.