Chapter 6

Loren's POV

After a long night of twisting and turning, I got some sleep. I had school today but I didn't feel like going. I told Mrs. Curtis yesterday I didn't want to go. She was quick to say yes. Winter break is in a few weeks anyway. 

I got out of bed and everybody was already at school. Mr and Mrs. Curtis were sitting in the kitchen. "Morning." I said groggily. 

They both looked at each other and sighed. "Come sit down, Loren. We have to talk." Mr. Curtis said. 

I pretended not to hear last nights conversation. "What's wrong?" I asked nervously. 

"Your dad got in a lot of trouble, last night." Mrs. Curtis said calmly. "He won't be home for a while. So we decided to keep you here with us until your either too old, or until your dad gets to come home." 

I frowned and looked down. 

"His trial is today. He seems to be ok after the accident but we've been asked to come in and listen. Your aunt is gonna be there trying to get control over you but she's not very stable so we need you to dress your best and your gonna tell a judge everything you know. Alright?" Mr. Curtis asked. 

"T-today?" I asked nervously. They both nodded. 

"We have to be at the courthouse at eleven. So I need you to go get ready, we can stop by your house, pick out some nice clothes, and we'll know what's going on by the end of the night." 

I sighed. "Alright." I said standing up. I took a shower and I brushed my hair and teeth. It's gonna be a long day...

I didn't feel like going back to our house so I just put on a dress I already had at their house. I had a lot more clothes than you'd think at their house. This isn't the first time I've been staying here. And it's been recent, too. 

The morning seemed to go by really fast. I wasn't looking forward to going to court. What if their just taking me to court to get me out of their hair? Maybe they plan to put me in a girls home or foster care but don't want to tell me. 

They wouldn't do that... would they?

We walked inside and dad was sitting with a man I've never seen before. Mr. and Mrs. Curtis walked up to the front and motioned for me to follow them even though I was a bit nervous. I got a good look at dad and he had a huge gash in his forehead that was stitched up. His eyes were all red and bloodshot. He seemed like he was shaking but I wasn't sure. 

They were talking back and forth and it all started to come together. 

He was drinking... and not the good for you stuff, like water or milk. The bad drinks. I've heard of beer before but I didn't know it could do this stuff to you. I almost started crying but I didn't want to let dad do that to me. 

Time seemed to go by very slow but I eventually got bored and watched the clock tick. Hours went by. Finally, Mrs. Curtis nudged me. I looked at the judge. "10 years, 8 months. No parole, 10,000 dollar fine." The judge said. Dad sighed. Mr and Mrs. Curtis looked shocked. I didn't know if that was a long time or a short time. But 10,000 dollars is a lot of money... especially after moms treatment. "Now, Miss Loren Areno," The judge said. I looked up. "I'm sorry about your mom." She said. 

I was confused. "It's ok." I said. I didn't know what else to say. 

"How old are you?" She asked. 

"6. I turned 6 yesterday." I said. 

"Well, happy belated birthday. So your birthday is December 12th?" 

"Yes, ma'am." I said with a smile. 

"Was your dad there with you?" She asked. 

My smile faded. "No." I saw dad out of the corner of my eye. He looked disappointed. Not in me, but in himself. Good. He deserves it. 

"I want you to tell me everything that's happened since your mothers passing." She said. 

I frowned. Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry. I managed to tell her most of what happened without crying. There was one part talking about mama where I got a little chocked up. But otherwise I was calm about it. 

"So you were with Lynn and Darrel Curtis for the two days?" 

"Yes, ma'am." 

"And have they been taking good care of you?" 

"Yes, ma'am. They've always taken good care of me." I said with a smile. 

"Always? As in the two days you were with them?" 

"No, ma'am." 

"Can you please clarify?" She asked. 

"Yes, ma'am." I sighed. "Mama was in the hospital for 6 whole weeks before she died. Sometimes, dad didn't come home. So I got scared and I called the Curtis' because I was hungry or scared and they always let me stay with them. They always came and picked me up. I even got to take some of my stuff over there." 

She looked over at dad quickly but back at me. 

"Lynn Curtis and Darrel Curtis, you have three boys, correct?" 

"Yes, your honor." They both said at the same time. 

"Are you sure this won't be too much on your plate?" She asked. 

My heart skipped a beat. What if they change their mind? What if this is all a joke? Is this even real?

"We've talked it over countless times, your honor. We'll take custody of her until she has a family member who is able to take care of her." 

"And her aunt, Jenna Areno, is in rehab?" 

"Correct, your honor." Mrs. Curtis said. 

"And is that the only other family memeber she has?" 

"Yes, your honor." Mr. Curtis said. 

"Alright. I will place Loren Areno in the custody of Darrel and Lynn Curtis until August 10th, 1966. One year after her dad will be released. She will be 17 when the guardianship is over. This court is adjourned."