Chapter 10

Loren's POV

Sodapop and I didn't talk for the rest of the night. It was an awkard dinner. Darry and Pony were obviously annoyed with us but I didn't care. Not. One. Bit.

I slept in the next day cause I didn't have to work today. I hated working but at least I get to look at cute puppies all day.

But I got up and I made breakfast for me. We used to have a system right after Mr. and Mrs. Curtis died. First person to wake up made breakfast, the other three cleaned up. But now, none of us eat together and we all just eat whenever. It's only been recent we've started doing that, though.

Not much was going on. I sat on the couch and watched TV. Sodapop woke up and we didn't even make eye contact.

"Hey, where is everyone?" Steve said opening the door.

"Good to see ya, too, Steve." I said sarcastically.

"Morning." Johnny said to me.

"Morning." I said back.

"Hey, guys." Sodapop said coming out of the kitchen. He and I bumped shoulders and he walked up to Steve and started talking with him.

"Something happen?" Two-Bit asked.

"No." I said sarcastically. I added an eye roll too.

"Oh, whatever." He said. I grinned.

Darry came walking out of his room and went outside. "Don't you gotta get to work?" Dallas asked to Darry.

"It's Sunday. Not till later." He said going outside to probably get the mail. They all made themselves at home and started to do their own things. Darry got the mail and he came back insdie. "Loren, you got a letter." He said closing the door.

"Really? From who?" I asked. It's always nice to get something. I don't get them as much as Soda, Pony, and Darry do.

"Not sure. No return address. Hand delivered." He said handing it to me.

I looked at it and I didn't recognize the hand writing. It had "Loren Areno" written on the front of it and that was it. Who would hand deliver something?

I opened it and in the corner, it had a stamp on it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma County Jail

Oh, God. No. No. No. No. No.

I looked at the bottom and it was signed, "Dad"

I didn't want to read it. Screw him. I hated him. Fuck him.

But I was too tempted.

I slowly stood up and I went into my room to read it. I felt my heart rate quicken. I put the envelope to the side and started reading.

Loren,

Hey. It's been a while. I'm sorry I never reached out. I figured you were probably mad at me and it was best to give you space and if you ever wanted to talk to me again, you'd come and see me. But if you're anything like your mom, I knew you wouldn't be the first one. And I know that no apology can fix what I did, but I hope we can be good. By the time you get this, it'll be the 21st or 22nd. That's That means 19-20 days from my release. I'm deciding to move to Colorado. I know it seems obscure, but I have a friend there who agreed to let me stay with him. His name his Carlos and he has a daughter in college. She just moved out so he has an extra room. I want you to come live with me. I know you're staying with Mr. and Mrs. Curtis and they still have custody of you but I miss you and I want to be with you again. Start over. I need a fresh start. And I know it's far away but I can't stay in Oklahoma. Too many memories. That's why I think this would be perfect to us. I want to try and fix my relationship with you. But I understand if you don't want to. I hope to see you when I get released. There's a section at the jail where people get released to see their families again. I hope to see you there at noon. If not, I understand. What I did was unforgiveable. The address for Carlos' house is below. If you want to move, you would need to pack your things and have the movers there by the 9th to get there on time. I seem to be pushing this idea a little too much, now. I'm sure Lynn and Darrel and there kids have been great to you. I don't expect a letter back. I'm not even sure if you read this far. I requested it to be hand delivered cause I knew that if you saw it was from me, you would have never opened it. I look forward to getting out and hopefully seeing you.

With love, dad

I felt sick reading all of it. There was an address at the end of the letter in Colorado.

I guess if I were him, I'd want a fresh start, too. But Colorado is so far!

I'm never gonna see the Curtis' again. Or the rest of the gang. But they all hate me anyways, it seems like.

I still wasn't thinking right. My heart rate wasn't going down and I felt lightheaded. I started to stand up and go back out into the living room but I started feeling faint. The room was spinning and nothing was focusing. Jesus this isn't good.

Why does this have to happen to me?

I was way too stressed out. Going on car rides always helped me. It reminded me of Mrs. Curtis. When I was younger and I got stressed, she always took me out for a drive. Then I got my own car right after I turned 16. It's not the greatest car but it works. After Mrs. Curtis passed, I went for a lot more on my own. This was definitely a time I needed to go for a drive. Except I don't know if I was even able to stand up straight.

I finally managed to walk out of my room and I walked out into the hallway. "Loren, you ok?" Johnny asked.

"Y-yeah. Why?" I asked.

"You look really pale..." Dallas mumbled.

"I promise, I'm ok." I said.

I lied. I passed out right after.