Chapter 30

Loren's POV

I laid there for a few minutes but I wished it could have lasted forever.

"You wanna go see your dad?" He asked. I sat up and tried to wipe the tears off of my face.

"Yeah. I guess. Let's hope he doesn't die on me like last time." I said trying to lighten the mood.

Sodapop grinned. "Good to know you're still able to crack a joke at times like this. But I'm sure he'll be fine. You just gotta trust he will be."

I sighed. "He will... he's a tough guy. He can push through." I said. I wasn't sure if I believed it but I said it anyway.

"Let's go see."

I climbed out and I helped Soda climb out of the vent. I laughed a bit when he got stuck. We walked back and Daisy and Carlos were talking to the nurse.

We saw doctors running in and out of the room. I felt my heart stop.

"Don't jump to conclusions. Maybe your dads friends know." Sodapop whispered.

"I don't know if I wanna know..." I mumbled.

Sodapop's POV

We walked up to Carlos and Daisy and asked what was going on. Loren was too paralyzed to say anything.

"He's awake."

Loren, who was holding her breath, let it out. She looked relieved.

"Can I go see him?" She asked.

The nurse walked over to us. "We just got him stable. I told him you were here and he asked to make a few phone calls first. He's doing well. I'm impressed." She said.

Loren sighed. "Alright. Thank you."

Darrel's POV

"Ya think they're ok?" Ponyboy asked. "And Mr. Areno?"

"I hope so." I said. Dallas and Johnny were over and the phone rang. "I'll get it." I said. I picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hi. Is this happen to be one of the Curtis'?" It sounded like an older man. It sounded familiar but at the same time, I couldn't place a face to it.

"Yeah, this is Darrel. Can I ask who this is?"

"It's been a while since I've seen ya. It's Mike Areno."

"Oh! Hi Mr. Areno. Glad to know you're ok." I said.

"Ah, you heard. Yeah I'll be alright. I haven't seen Loren yet but I know she's here. And I understand how on the spot this is but I'd rather ask you before I tell anything to Loren. We have a court date in a few weeks to see who gets custody of her until she's 18. Her aunt called me and told me a bunch of, pardon my French, bullshit. But she's going back to rehab. And I need to go too. So if that goes that way, she goes to a foster home. And I know she stayed with your family for a long time. I was hoping you'd be able to take her back in. I just couldn't bare with knowing she'll be having a new family. I'd rather it be someone I trust. You guys are all she's got besides me and my sister. And we haven't been there for her at all. I found out the whole story about the car accident and why she came back home. But I'd just feel a lot more comfortable if it was with someone I'd know. Don't feel pressured to say yes. I can figure something out."

He had more to say but I stopped him. "Mr. Areno, I would love to have Loren stay with us." I said with a grin.

"Thank you. I'll see you all hopefully soon."

"Alright. Talk to ya later. Bye."

"Ba-bye." He said.

The line clicked and I put the phone down. "Loren's coming back to stay with us?" Ponyboy asked excitedly.

"It seems so. We've got a court date to look into in the next few weeks and we'll see if the court says she can live with us." I said sitting down.

"Soda will look forward to that." Dal said with a grin.

Johnny was Pony laughed.

"Are you all still stuck on Soda and Loren dating? Do you know how bad it would end if they broke up?" I asked.

"You gotta admit," Johnny started, "they'd be cute together. Way better than him and Sandy."

I didn't say anything. I'm sure they could read my expressions.

Loren's POV

"Who could he be talking to? Shouldn't I be his number one priority? I drove ten hours to make sure he was ok!"

"It's probably important." Sodapop said trying to calm me down.

"Maybe he's trying to find a way to get rid of you." Daisy said sticking her tongue out at me.

I stood up and balled up my fists. I lunges around her but Sodapop grabbed my waste and lifted me up. "Calm down. Don't let her get to you." He said.

He set me down and I gave her a nasty look.

"Loren, you wanna go in and see him?" The nurse asked.

"Yes. Ah finally." I said. She walked out of the door way and opened the door fully for me. I looked inside and he was laying down. "Oh my goodness..." I mumbled running up to him and hugging him."

"You came..." He mumbled.

"Dad, of course I did. Why would you do this to yourself? I didn't leave because I didn't like you. I left because I don't want to be around a drinking scene. I haven't called you as much because I haven't been home. I know you go to bed early and I started working night shifts and I wake up early and start my day too early. And I didn't tell you about the accident because I knew you wouldn't let me come with you and I really wanted to-"

"Loren, it's ok. I cleared things up with Aunt Jenna. And I have something's to tell you. She's going back to rehab."

"W-What? But it's not working! We and afford it-"

"Hang on. There's more. Carlos is paying for all of it. And I'm going too. If I spend 10 years sober and go right back to it, I need help."

I frowned. "Can I still call you?"

"Of course you can." He said.

He looked like he had more to say but Ivyr him off. "Who am I supposed to stay with?" I said nervously.

"That's where I have good news for you. I called Darry. He agreed to let you stay with him until you're 18."

"Did you force him?" I asked nervously.

"Nope. Heard Ponyboy in the background getting excited. And if anything goes wrong, let me know. I'll figure something out." He said.

"Alright dad. I'm glad you're ok. You scared me. And I'd love to stay longer but I have to get back to work and I kinda caused a problem there..." I mumbled.

"Uh oh." He said. "I'm sure you can fix it. And call me when you do. I have the Curtis' number memorized. I wanna talk to you. Good luck at work. I love you so much, Loren." He said.

I hugged him. "I love you, too, dad. I'll call you as much as possible. Good luck." I said with a grin.

"Thank you."

I walked outside the door and Carlos an Daisy where there. "Kiss my ass." I mumbled to Daisy. "He still wants me." I said with a hair flip.

"You ok?" Sodapop asked.

I nodded. "I'm alright." I said with a grin.

He couldn't keep his smile contained anymore. "Did you hear the news?" He asked excitedly. I laughed too. "You get to live with us again!" He yelled excitedly. He hugged me and picked me up and our faces were so close. We were both laughing and he put me back down. "Ready to go home?"

"Let's start our 10 hour drive." I said with an eye roll.