Chapter 11

Loren's POV

I didn't remember anything for a good five seconds. I rubbed my eyes and my head was pounding. But at least the world wasn't spinning. 

"You ok?" Two-Bit asked hovering over the couch. 

"Yeah." I grumbled. I sat up and put my head in my hands. 

"What happened?" Johnny asked calmly. 

I've always loved Johnny. He always knew how to handle every situation. Instead of Steve yelling in my ear asking what happened. 

"Nothing." I finally said covering my ears. "I just wasn't feeling ok for a few. What time is it?" I asked. 

"'Bout 12:30." Dallas said. 

Jeez. It's been that long? 

"Hey, Loren. You ok?" Darry asked. 

"Yeah. I'm alright." I said standing up. 

"Who was that letter from?" He asked. 

I was gonna say my dad but I feel like a part of me didn't want him to know that dad was causing me this much stress. "J-just from school." 

"Why didn't I get anything?" Ponyboy asked. 

"Why'd they hand deliver it?" Steve asked. 

"I don't know! It's just for me. I didn't fill a form out last year and they needed it. I'm going for a drive." I said grabbing my jacket. 

"Loren, I dunno if that's a good idea. You just passed out." Darry said. 

"I don't care. I'll be back in ten minutes." I said closing the door. 

I grabbed the keys out of my jacket and turned on the car. It probably wasn't a good idea to go for a drive, especially after I passed out, but I really needed it. I remember when Mrs. Curtis first took me for a drive. It was right after my mom died. I didn't go for a while because everything seemed to be fine but then Mr and Mrs. Curtis died and I've been going on them more often. It reminds me of Mrs. Curtis. And she was right. You always find something to remind you of that person. 

I was driving down the road and I really did start to feel better. I really was telling the truth. I was only planning to be ten minutes. But once I was gone, I never wanted to turn back. I just wanted to keep going and going and going until I couldn't go no more. 

Then it hit me...

I had that opportunity.

I could leave. 

I mean, I'd have to go with my dad. But what's the problem with trying to fix the relationship between me and him? He was a great dad before mom died. 

But how was I supposed to tell Darry, Soda, and Pony? 

Well, just Darry and Pony. 

Well... maybe just Darry. 

Not even him, actually. 

Sodapop hates me. I guess I really didn't mean it when I said I hated him. But he said it back. He wouldn't care if I left. 

Darry and Pony are just sick of havin' me around. Anyone who hangs at the house for more than five minutes could tell that. 

I once heard Darry and Pony talking about me late at night. It was about a week after Mr and Mrs. Curtis died. Ponyboy asked why Darry didn't kick me out. He was angry about it. Darry said he didn't wanna risk seeming like a bad guardian and getting Pony and Soda in a home. I remember how I felt that day. I felt like I was being used. Pony didn't want me around and Darry only kept me around to keep his brothers. 

I guess car rides really do work. I got the answer to the question that stressed me out so much. I guess I will miss Tulsa, but that's about it. I'll find a new school in Colorado and I'll stay there. 

I guess I can go home now. "Home" Ha. Won't be home for long. 

I saw a parking lot up ahead and I figured I'd turn into there and turn back around instead of going all the way up and making a U-turn. 

I sat in the car listening to music waiting for the light to turn green and it finally did. I started to drive and I heard this screeching noise. I turned to my left and I saw a car flying at me. I tried to speed up, but it was too late. The car hit the side of my car and sent mine flying. 

Everything went by so fast. My car started spinning towards the pole next to the parking lot. I let out a shrill scream. I wasn't even able to process what had happened. Things went blurry for a second but I'm pretty sure I stayed concious. Next thing I knew, my car was tipped over on it's side and I was able to see a little bit more. I'm pretty sure I stayed concious throughout the entire thing. But I still wasn't able to process what just happened. 

I was in pain everywhere. I tried to unbuckle my seatbelt but my hand was covered in blood. I screamed and looked around. I was numb. The side of the door cut into my ribs and there was a huge piece of glass sticking out of my stomach. It was almost like a pole shaped. I wasn't even sure where it came from. 

"Hello?" Someone asked. "Are you ok?" 

I was too paralyzed to answer. I wasn't sure how to react. 

"Hello?" They asked again. 

"H-hello?" I managed to get out. 

"Oh, thank God. Hang in there. I'll help you out." The person said. It sounded like a guy but I wasn't sure. I was a little hazy. The car started moving a bit but the guy crawled through the sun roof and got in the shattered car. "Oh!" He said out of shock. 

I felt embarrassed. I couldn't believe this. I was still a little shell shocked. He unbuckled my seatbelt and picked me up. 

"It's ok. You'll be alright." He said reassuringly. 

He climbed out of the car and gently placed me on the grass patch in front of the plaza. Once I got a good look at my body, I screamed. The pain started to sink in. 

"I'm gonna call the police really quick. What's your parents number or a good person to call? What's your name?" He asked. 

I quickly repeated Darry's number and told him my name. He repeated it back and called the two people from the payphone. I leaned back in pain and screamed. God, it hurt like hell. 

Darry's POV

"Can someone get the phone?" I yelled. Nobody responded. "Thanks, guys." I said sarcastically. I picked up the phone and I didn't recognize the number. "Hello?" I asked. 

"Hi, do you know Loren Areno?" The man on the other side of the phone asked. 

"Yeah, she ok?" I asked. 

"No. She was in a car accident. I called the police but she's gonna need a lot of stitches and needs to go to the hospital, as soon as possible." 

"Where are you?" I asked frantically. 

"Corner of Sage and Friars." He said. 

"I'll be there in a few." I said hanging up the phone. "Everyone in the car! Now!" I yelled.