Chapter 18

Loren's POV

I walked inside and grabbed the last box I could fit in my car. The movers had the rest of it. They already grabbed the furniture out of my room. They were pretty quick.

"Wait, your dad gets out today?" Sodapop asked coming up to me as I grabbed the last box. He seemed worried.

"Mhmm. And you helped me make my decision." I said with a fake smile plastered on my face.

"How?" He asked.

"If you acted different. You treated my like royalty until you found out. Then you went right back to hating me just how you did before. I made a test for you without you knowing. Genuine reaction."

"I didn't hate you before-" He started.

I cut him off. "But you do now."

Before Soda could say anything, Ponyboy spoke up. "Loren-" He started.

"I don't wanna hear it from you! You wanted me gone just as much as he did." I said angrily.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"A few weeks after your parents died. You asked Darry why he agreed to let me stay here. He said he didn't wanna risk looking like a bad person and getting you and Soda put in a boys home." They didn't respond. They both knew exactly what I was talking about. "And you just proved my point." I said with a grin.

"Loren, we didn't mean it like that-" Darry started.

"Well that's how it sounded! Words hurt and words stick!" I barely ever raised my voice. But I was getting angry. I wanted to get out of there. I slammed the door and put the last box in my car.

"So you're really just picking up and going to Colorado? To be with a person you hated your entire life?"

I didn't say anything for a second. "He's my dad. I wanna give him a second chance. And if this is what I have to do to make amends, then yes."

"Fine. Then go!" He yelled.

"I will." I said crossing my arms.

"Soda, don't say anything you'll regret." Ponyboy said from the door. Everyone was watching and Sodapop looked like he was gonna say something.

He took a breath and finally said something. "I've never hated you. I meant what I said to you the other night." He whispered to me before he went inside.

I watched him walk inside and then I got in my car and drove to the release part of the station. I parked and walked inside. I talked to the girl in the corner of the small room. It was a grey, dimly lit room with chairs along the side. I was the only one in there. But it was only 10:30. I was an hour and a half early. The girl at the front said she'd see if he could come earlier so I didn't have to wait but she couldn't.

I sat there very impatiently. A million thoughts ran through my head. Would he recognize me? I look more like my mom than him. What if he changes his mind? What if he never wants to see me again?

Time seemed to go slower than ever. I hated it.

Finally, I heard a buzz. The door clicked open. "Loren." The receptionist said.

I quickly bolted out of my chair and looked at the door open. Out walked a fresh, clean, man. It was dad but it wasn't what I remembered.

He still had his tall muscular body, but he was older. I think he was only 47. Last time I saw him, he smelled terrible, his eyes were blood shot, and his words were slurred.

"Loren..." He mumbled. He walked up to me and hugged me. It took me by surprise. I didn't expect it.

"H-hi, dad." I mumbled. I smiled as he held me in his embrace.

"Oh my. Look at you. You really grew up. You look just like your mother." He said with a smile.

I never thought I'd hear him even mention mom, let alone compare me to her. I was worried he would think I looked too much like her and not want me around. That was definitely not the case.

"I can't believe you showed up." He said.

"Of course I did. But I guess you were right. If you hadn't have had the letter hand delivered, I wouldn't have opened it."

He grinned. "Are you sure you really wanna move to Colorado? Aunt Jenna agreed to let you stay here. We have a court session within a few months for custody. So if you change your mind, you've got a while."

"I'm positive. And if I do happen to change my mind, I've got time." I said with a grin.

An officer handed him a box of stuff and he looked through it. "Haven't seen this stuff in years." He said with a grin.

I gave him a small laugh. We walked outside to my car and he crammed the box in the back. I prayed he didn't see moms stuff.

"So... do you wanna drive? Or should I?" I asked awkwardly.

"I got my license suspended. Remember?" He said with a grin.

"Oh. Shit. I forgot." I said quickly.

"Language!" He scolded. "But it's ok. I get it if things are a little uncomfortable with me. It's been a while. But we've got a long drive ahead of us. I wanna get to know you again. I wanna get to know my daughter. Make up for lost time." He said getting in the passenger seat.

I grinned. "Sounds good to me." I said with a grin.

We got in the car and I got onto the highway to my new life.

"So how have Mr. and Mrs. Curtis been? They treating ya well? How'd they take the news you were leaving?" He asked.

I sighed. "They passed away. Back in February." I mumbled.

"What? Where have you been staying?" He asked.

"I lived with Darry, Soda, and Pony. They agreed to let me stay until you were able to take care of me. That's why it was an easier decision."

"I wish I would have known. I would have loved to see them one last time. They were great people."

"They really were." I said with a grin.

I quickly changed the topic.

Although dad was ten years older than when I last saw him, he looked younger. Fresher.

He looked like himself.

And I loved it.

Goodbye, Oklahoma. I'm starting my new life. I'm making amends. Everyone deserves a second change. And here's my opportunity to give it to him.