Chapter 25

Loren's POV

I couldn't believe what happened last night. Honestly, I felt a bit better. I felt relieved. She's ok! But I couldn't believe I didn't make the connection from Brett to Lizzie. He said the same thing happened to his sister that happened to me and they have the same last name. 

I had a good feeling I wouldn't be having anymore nightmares. 

But today is my last day before I get to start working. I'm starting to learn my schedule and I swear I keep seeing Sodapop! It's so weird. But why would he come back to school?

But I ignored it. I walked to the park where I went after school on Monday and this guy was following me with flowers.

"Please. Just one date. You're so beautiful." He said as I sat down at the bench.

"Jaden," I started.

"It's Jordan." He corrected.

"I don't care what it is! Leave me alone! I'm not interested!" I snapped.

"I followed you all the way here and you still reject me? I can't believe you." He said.

"I didn't ask you to follow me!" I said. "Creep." I mumbled under my breath.

"I'll wait for you, Loren." He said walking away. He threw the flowers to the ground and I just rolled my eyes.

I started to do my homework as the cool breeze blew through my hair. It felt nice. A nice change of smell too. Instead of the beer smell at Aunt Jenna's.

Sodapop's POV

"Whatcha looking at?" Steve asked coming up behind me.

I was looking out the back window as Loren sat in the park behind a few trees by herself. There was a guy with her earlier but he wasn't there anymore. I wanted to know why but I didn't wanna go up to her. She probably hates me, anyway.

"Dude. Get over her."

"I was never into her." I said with an eye roll walking away from the window.

"Cut the act. It was really obvious until you got into your fight with her."

"Knock it off. I wasn't into her. She was my friend." I said.

"Whatever you say." He said with a laugh.

"Y'know, I think I'm gonna just go over and talk to her." I said wiping my hands off.

"Bad idea." Steve said sitting down.

"Why?"

"Cause doesn't she hate you?"

"Probably. But she hates you more so what can go wrong?" I said with a laugh.

He gave me a sarcastic look and I started to walk over there. Just play it cool. Here goes nothing.

Loren's POV

I finally finished my homework and I started to put my things in my bag. I dropped my pen on the grass and groaned.

"Hey." Someone said as I bent down to pick it up.

I groaned again. "For the last time, I'm not intereste- oh!" I said quickly.

Sodapop Curtis. He sat down next to me and I tried to correct myself.

"My goodness. What are you doing here?" I asked with a fake laugh.

"What do you mean? I work about 200 yards from here." He said pointing behind him.

I looked through the trees across the train tracks and realized the DX was right there. How did I not notice that before?

"What?" I asked in a high pitch voice. "This isn't Colorado... I better get going." I said grabbing the last of my things and trying to walk away.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. "Hold up. I know you're being sarcastic. What are you doing back here?"

"Look, Soda, I'm sorry. I don't feel like being tortured by your shenanigans right now."

"I'm not trying to torture you. I just wanted to say hi. You just left and I barely got to say goodbye." He said.

He sounded so sincere. But I didn't trust his niceness. "Well, here's my formal goodbye." I said rushing off.

Sodapop's POV

"How'd it go?" Steve asked. You could tell he knew damn well it didn't go well.

"Whatever. She doesn't wanna talk to me."

"Aww. Another heartbreak."

"I didn't like her! She was my friend!" I said angrily.

"I'm messing with ya. Let it go. But just so you know, whenever you and Loren weren't home, we always talked about how one day you guys were gonna fall for each other." Steve said with a laugh.

I groaned. She was my friend. She is my friend? I dunno. Whatever we were, we definitely aren't now.

Loren's POV

Well that was an awkward interaction. How did I not know the DX was there?! God, how am I so stupid.

I went home and went right to my room. Aunt Jenna was balancing on a stool seeing how long she could drink before following. Her boyfriend was behind her in case she fell and her friend was on the other stool.

I hate that I have to live like this.

*Next Friday*

"Finally." I said with a laugh. It was almost Saturday. 11:57. I just changed out of my work clothes and put my comfortable clothes on. It was just me and Brett.

"Ready to close up?" He asked.

"Three more minutes." I said with a laugh.

"Come on. There's nobody here. It's slow as hell. We already changed. Let's just go."

"I just got this job. I don't wanna do anything wrong."

"Fine." He said with a playful grin. He put his skates on and I put mine back on.

We raced around the diner and laughed as we swung ourselves around booths. He was barely in front of me and immediately came to a dead stop.

He fell forward and I ran into him and fell next to him.

"What the hell? Why'd ya do that?" I asked putting my hand on my head.

I looked at him and he looked up. The bell on the door rang and people started to walk inside.

Oh God.

"Sorry, guys. We're closed." Brett said.

"No you're not." All 7 of them said at the same time.

"No were not." I said in sync with them.

"Huh?" Brett asked.

I pointed to the clock. "11:59."

Dallas laughed as they walked over to a table. Why do I feel like I'm constantly being tortured?

"Well. I guess it's a good thing we didn't close yet." Brett said. "That's gonna be a nice tip." He said with a laugh. I looked up at him with an annoyed look. "Oh shit... is that-"

"Yep." I said before he could finish.

"Well. Maybe not a good tip then." He said.

I rolled my eyes and went over to them. It's gonna be a long night.