Chapter 13

Sodapop's POV

I finally finished puking and I wiped my mouth. I walked over to the rest of the gang and they were all unsure of what to do. "Darry, do you think Loren will be ok?" I asked.

"Just this morning, you hated her." Ponyboy said.

"No! No, that's not- shit! That's the point! She's dying and she thinks I hate her! I only said it because she said it first!" I said defensively.

"What happened, anyway?" Two-Bit asked.

I groaned. "I decided to pick her up from work and she asked what happened to us and why we were drifting and I said that after mom and dad died things changed then she brought up about how she didn't push anyone away when her parents died and I said it was different when you're young and then I called her a bitch and we didn't talk the rest of the way home. Then she got out and I tried to apologize and she said she hated me so I said I hate you back and that was the last thing I said to her and now she's gonna die thinking I hate her when I don't it was just cause I was mad." I said really quickly. I took a breath.

Everyone was staring at me like I was crazy. "Well, she's not dead as we know. She could still survive. So let's drive over there." Darry said.

We got in the car and we drove to the hospital. It was only a five to ten minute drive but it felt like hours.

We walked inside and she just got out of surgery but we weren't allowed to see her. She wasn't even awake. Doctors weren't even sure she was gonna wake up.

We sat there all day and eventually the gang started to go home and so did Brett. We weren't gonna be allowed to see her for a very long time. Darry and Ponyboy tried to get me to go home but I just couldn't. I wanted to be here. What if she did wake up? What if something happens? I want to be the first to know.

Darry and Pony said they'd be back to pick me up first thing in the morning. I was about to fall asleep and a doctor came up to me. I sprung out of the chair and asked if anything changed.

"Not much. She's still asleep. The accident was pretty severe. She lost a lot of blood. She's still pretty pale and her heartrate is pretty slow. We've got her hooked up to a few things to keep her stable but no updates. I think you might wanna head home."

"No. I'll stay. Wake me up if anything changes." I said slumping back down in the chair.

The doctor sighed and walked around the corner.

August 1, 1965 - Loren's POV

I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I didn't remember anything. My mind was black. I heard people talking and I felt pokes in my body. I tried to open my eyes but I was too tired. I opened my eyes just a little bit to see what was going on and there were doctors everywhere. My body was still in excruciating pain.

"Alright. She's stable." A girl said after a while. Everyone started to walk out of the room except her. "Loren. I'm Nurse Vass. You've been in a coma for almost 12 days. How are you feeling?"

I finally opened my eyes fully and I started to slowly remember things. The car accident. The guy who helped me out. The people in the ambulance pulling the glass out. I remembered everything up until they closed the ambulance doors. I especially remembered all the pain.

"It's ok. You must be a bit in shock. It's August 1. Your friends have been stopping by a lot. Especially one of them. One of your intestines burst. You were sent here for emergency surgery. It's starting to heal. Should be fully recovered in 2-3 months. Until then, take it easy. We're gonna keep you here for a few more days and depending on your progress you can leave when you're ready."

I still didn't say anything. I was still in shock.

"How did you know not to take the pole out of your stomach?"

Pole? What pole?

"There was a pole in your stomach." She said. She must have seen the expressions on my face cause I didn't say anything. "The glass pole."

Oh... it was off the window shield. That must have been what she was talking about.

"You woulda bled to death if you took it out. Most people would have. That's why I'm surprised you left it in."

Oh my God! The guy. That guy told me not to take it out! He really knew what he was talking about.

"Just rest for a bit. I understand you're still in shock. I'll leave you to rest. I'll let your friends know you're ok. They aren't here now but I'm sure the one will be here at 7:00 sharp." She said with a grin.

I couldn't think straight. I've been asleep for almost two weeks? When she said all my friends have been here, especially one, who was the one? Will I be out by August 10th?

But then it hit me...

Wait...

Hold on...

I haven't said a word yet. I could-

No. That's insane.

I couldn't.

But could I?

It was a horrible idea, really. It would make me seem like a monster. But was it worth it?

It's how I could get out of Oklahoma without people feeling sorry for me. Actually, people would hate me! Not saying I want people to hate me, but it's how I'd feel good about my decision of leaving. If everyone hated me, I wouldn't feel sorry about leaving.

And it can tell me how they really feel! They act the same, it's how they are. If they act different, they feel sorry for me. They're pitying me.

This is a bad idea. Anyone would think I'm crazy for even considering it.

But... I think I'm gonna do it.

So until it's time to leave, imma pretend to be mute...