Chapter 28

Loren's POV

I was glued in one spot. I couldn't move. My stomach dropped. I felt my world close in on me. I started sweating. I felt my breathing get heavier.

"We're worried he only has a day or so left. It seems like you should come and see him." She said.

"I-I'll be there as soon as I can." I said barely able to get it out. I put the phone down and I still felt like I couldn't move. I stared at the phone in shock until someone said my name. "I- I have to go." I mumbled. I shoved Two-Bit out of my way and ran down past the park to my aunts house as fast I could.

Everyone from the gang was following me and asking me to stop and explain but I couldn't. I felt tears dripping down my face as I ran in the cold wind.

I almost slipped as I quickly turned into my aunts driveway. I got in my car and looked for my keys.

"Fuck. Fuck. FUCK!" I yelled looking through my entire car.

"Where are you going?" Sodapop asked looking through my car window. Everyone was out of breath.

"Colorado. Where are my keys?!" I yelled.

"Why are you going to Colorado?" Darry asked.

"My dad overdosed. WHO TOOK MY KEYS?" I yelled.

Dally took them outta his pocket. "Soda told me to take them so you couldn't drive." He said.

He was about to hand them to me but Soda took them. "Loren, you can't drive." Soda said taking them.

"Why not?" I yelled.

"You were drinking. I'm not letting you. If you wanna go, I'm driving." He said.

"Loren, you were drinking?" Steve asked.

"Yes. If you want some I got some in the back." I said trying to get the keys.

"LOREN!" They all yelled.

Sodapop shoved me to the passenger seat and reached in the back. He grabbed all the bottles and handed them to Johnny one by one.

"HEY!" I yelled.

"If you wanted some you coulda gone inside. My aunts got tons. The more the merrier to her." I said slumping back in my seat.

"I guess I'm going to Colorado." Sodapop said closing the door.

"Be home by Monday. Be careful." Darry said.

"I will." He said backing up.

"If you're gonna drive, HURRY UP!" I yelled.

I pushed my foot on the gas and we sped forward. "Loren..." He said calmly. "If you do that WE'RE GONNA DIE!" He yelled.

I crossed my arms and waited impatiently as the ten hour drive started.

Sodapop's POV

Following signs was never easy for me when it came to getting from point A to point B. When Loren passed out, it got harder.

I couldn't believe her.

I have never seen her that angry in my life. We really hit a nerve.

But now her dad is probably gonna die? A part of me hoped that if he was gonna die, he did it before we got there, just so she won't have to see another parent of hers die. It would break her. She'd never be the same.

I hope he's ok, though. I know he want to mend things with Loren. But whatever that person said to her on the phone, really messed with her. You could see the exact moment something switched in her eyes. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was something.

But it was almost like she was herself again?

Loren's POV

My vision was hazy when I opened my eyes. I was in a car and we were moving fast.

"Thank God, you're awake. We're almost in Denver. I have no idea where I'm at."

In a split second, I snapped back into reality and looked around. "Umm... just follow the hospital signs. I haven't been to the downtown very much..." I said groggily.

"Oh boy..." He mumbled.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up. I looked around and tried to spot the hospital. "There!" I said pointing. "God, I hope it's the right one." I said more to myself than him. He pulled into the parking lot and my headache died down a little bit but not much so jumping out of the car while he was pulling into the parking spot wasn't a good idea.

I ran inside and up to the front desk. "Hello? I'm looking for Mike Areno." I said quickly to the receptionist as I ran out of breath. Sodapop came up behind me.

"Mike Areno..." She said slowly.

"Loren!" Someone called. Sodapop and I both looked over. "Loren, over here!" It was Carlos.

I ignored the receptionist and ran over to them. "Where's dad?"

"Third floor, room 305." Daisy said in her usual sarcastic tone.

I ran over to the elevator and kept hitting the button over and over.

"Hey." I heard Daisy say in a flirty voice.

I turned around and she started flirting with Sodapop.

"SODA! Here! Now!"

"You can't demand stuff from him!"

"Just like you're about to demand sex. Soda, now."

"Get your own soda!" She yelled.

I rolled my eyes. "Sodapop. Get over here. Unless you're looking to hook up with her this weekend."

"I'm gonna go with her..." Sodapop mumbled to her.

She rolled her eyes and her and Carlos came over to the elevator. It was taking too long and I ran over to the stairs and up to the third floor, room 305.

"Hello, can I help you?" A nurse asked as I walked up to the room.

"Mike Areno? Is he here?"

"Yes but only immediate family is allowed in." She said.

The elevator door opened and Sodapop looked majorly uncomfortable. I don't wanna know what Daisy said to him in that elevator. Especially since Carlos doesn't care what she does.

"I AM IMMEDIATE FAMILY!"

"Any ID? Or proof?"

"I'm Loren Areno? I don't know! I have my drivers license in the car. But I got a call and the girl said I had to be down here quick cause he might not make it."

She looked me up and down. "You do look like him. But I'm afraid I just don't think it's a good time right now. I'm sorry."

"Why not?" I yelled.

"He's unconscious. We aren't sure if he's gonna wake up or not." She said. I felt my heart sink.

I just want to see him one more time.

But I can't bear to watch him die right in front of me.