Chapter 12

Loren's POV

"Here, adjust to the most comfortable position you can." The guy said coming up to me after he talked to someone from the Curtis' house. Probably Darry.

I felt a pounding in my head and I'm assuming something happened there. My leg had glass from the windows sticking out of it and blood was rushing down my leg. I felt a sharp pain in my arm from more than just the cuts from the windows. But the worst part that I could see was the huge pole of glass sticking out of my stomach. It hurt to breath.

I slowly laid down fully and it hurt like hell. I let out a yelp and quickly sat up. The guy sat behind me. "Here, take your jacket off." He said helping me. I slowly took it off and he let me rest against him. I was sobbing as I looked at my body. Blood was dripping down from every part of my body. I slowly moved my hand to my head and felt a huge gash.

"Don't touch it. The paramedics will be here in a few minutes. I called your family. They'll be here too."

Family... if only...

I looked at the huge glass shard impaling my stomach. It hurt so bad. I started to pull it out and the guy quickly stopped me. "Don't do that. You have to leave it in."

"W-why?" I asked.

"You pull it out and blood pours out. You pull it out without medical help, you're gonna die from bloodloss." He said.

That really put me in my place. There were times when I thought about death but now that it's placed in front of me, I didn't wanna die yet.

I finally heard ambulances and sirens. I felt relieved even though, physically, my body hurt like hell.

The guy pushed me up and the paramedics put me on a stretcher. I was put into the ambulance and police officers started to show up.

"Alright, ma'am, this is gonna hurt a lot. I need you to stay calm and as still as possible." The girl said.

She put her hands around the big shard of glass in my stomach and pulled it out. I screamed and jolted. She had two other people hold my arms down as she pressed down on it and put stitches in. I was sobbing and trying to stay down as she put alcohol all over my cuts and wounds.

"She needs surgery. Now." She eventually said. They closed the doors to the ambulance and we started to drive away. They put an oxygen mask over my mouth and all of a sudden, things went dark.

Sodapop's POV

Darry all shoved us into the car and he sped down the road. "What's going on?" I asked.

"Loren got in a car accident." Darry said, still speeding. First time I ever saw him purposly break the speed limit.

"What!" We all yelled.

"Shh!" Darry snapped. "The guy on the phone said it was just up here on the corner."

We pulled up to the corner and we saw two cars totaled and two people on the side of the road. There was one older man who was still in the car that wasn't Loren's. There were paramedics all over by the time we got there. There was a police officer going up to the other mans car and then I saw Loren. I felt my heart beat faster. I would have thought she was dead if it weren't for her breathing rapidly. Darry pulled into the parking lot and we all trailed out.

"Hey, are you the guy I talked to on the phone?" Darry asked going up to the guy who was sitting with Loren.

"Yeah. Yeah, I was." He said nervously. "I thought I was talking to her dad." He said.

We all looked at each other. "Her dad's not really in her life." Darry said trying to keep it vague.

"What about her mom?" He asked.

"She died when she was younger. She lives with us." Darry said pointing to me and Pony.

"Shit." He said under his breath. "Look, I don't know her. I saw the accident happen and I got out to help her. She definitely got the worst of it. Her car flipped. The person who caused it got out pretty well it looks like." He said looking behind him. The guy must have been maybe 25 or 30. Wasn't that old. He was getting arrested.

Then, we all heard a blood curdling scream from the ambulance. We all shuddered.

A police officer came up to all of us. "Can I help you all?" He asked to us. He didn't look at the other guy.

"We got a call from..." Steve started.

"Brett Meer." He said.

"Said Loren was in a bad accident." He continued.

"Loren Areno lives with me and my brothers. It's complicated." Darry said.

"Alright. I need you to explain everything to me." The officer said.

Darry went on and on about how Loren got to live with us and what happened with her family and Brett looked really sad. Like he felt horrible for her. I mean, we all did but he looked more sympathetic than all of us were.

"Is she gonna be ok?" I finally asked.

"It's hard to say now. Something was damaged internally so she's going into surgery now."

None of us knew what to say. "You can probably see her later in the week at the hospital." The officer finally said to all of us.

"Who hit her? Why was he arrested?" Dallas asked.

He thought for a second. "Drunk driving..." He mumbled.

Everything went silent. Loren's gonna be devastated when she finds out the person who hit her is in the same situation as her father.

"Will we be able to see her?" I asked.

The officer sighed. "Not sure. Doctors might not let you. There's not even a hundred percent chance she'll survive."

That all hit us hard. Loren dying? There's no way.

"Have a good day boys."

After hearing all this, I felt sick. I ran over to the bush and started throwing up.