Chapter 16

Loren's POV

We walked up to the house and there was a car parked out front. "Loren!" Darry called out. "Your new car is here!" He continued.

I grinned and looked at it. It was pretty similar to my last one. The worked looked at me. "Courtesy of the man who hit you. Have an nice day." He said with a grin.

I grinned at the car and I went inside. "You ok, Loren?" Ponyboy asked. I nodded with a small grin. "Sorry about arguing. I should have let it go." I swung my hand indicating it was no big deal.

"You gonna go to bed? Again?" Darry asked.

I grinned and nodded. I waved goodbye and went inside.

*The Next Day*

If I thought the first day was hard, it was only gonna get harder. Just two more days. But I can't just stay silent. I needed to talk. There were times when I almost slipped up. Just keep my mouth shut. Don't even open it. Then there were times when I almost laughed. Goodbye humor. Nothing is funny anymore. As long as I tell myself that, maybe I'll believe it.

But I had tomorrow and then the next day I was leaving. I had an idea. It was about two in the morning. I got up and snuck around the house to Soda's room. Darry and Pony's rooms are on the other side of the house while Soda's and mine are on the same side, and even if it wasn't very big, I was hoping they wouldn't hear. I knocked on his door.

"Come in." Soda whispered.

I opened the door and he grinned. "Hey, whatcha doing up at this time o' night?" I grinned and motioned to him. He laughed quietly and continued. "I was trying to sleep. You interrupted me."

'Sorry' I mouthed with a smile.

"Kidding. I was reading the paper. Saw something about the DX in there. I was curious. Do you need anything?" He asked. My smile faded and sat on the edge of his bed. "You ok?" He asked.

I opened my mouth to say something but I just couldn't. I didn't know if I wanted to do this anymore. He grabbed a piece of paper and a pen off his nightstand and handed it to me. I took the cap off the pen and started writing.

I have something to tell you but you have to swear on your life you won't tell anyone

He read it over and gave me a confused look. "I promise?" He asked.

Say it confidently. And swear on your life you won't break it

"I promise. I swear on my life I won't break it." He said.

I took a breath.

This is it.

Just spit it out.

"I can talk." I said quickly. I bit my lip. His expression was blank. I couldn't get a read on him. He looked like he was about to say something but he didn't. "Soda?" I eventually asked.

"WHAT!" He yelled quickly.

"SHH!" I whispered.

"You're fine?" He asked.

"Shh! Soda, don't wake your brothers up. I wouldn't say I'm fine. All these other injujries are real and I'm gonna have a scar on my stomach for my entire life." I said trying to lighten the blow.

"So you've been able to talk this all time and lied to us?"

"I know it doesn't make sense-" I started to whisper.

"No, it makes perfect sense." He said calmly.

"Huh?" I asked.

"You wanted to take advantage of us."

"Soda, that's not it." I said. "You won't understand until the 10th. But that morning it'll all make sense, I swear. But you promised you wouldn't tell anyone." I said. He didn't say anything. "I know you're mad at me. I would be, too. But I swear, this is the only fake injury I have."

"That's not helping anything, Loren."

"I know. And I'm so sorry. Really, I am. I just had to find something out and this was the only way I could do it."

"Whatever." He mumbled leaning back on his bed.

"Good night. You swore you wouldn't say anything." I said getting up and walking out. I closed his door and I took a breath.

Part of me really wanted to go to Colorado. Leave this life behind. Maybe that's why I made this challenge impossible for Soda to win. Of course he was gonna care. Of course he was gonna act different. I almost died! But he went back to his old self so quickly that not one part of me cared how anyone else is gonna feel when I leave.

I started packing that night. I had boxes upon boxes of stuff to get. All my clothes, shoes, and just everything in my room. As soon as Soda started acting like that, I wanted out of there more than anything.

I pulled the shoes from the back of the closet onto my floor and put them in boxes. I did the same thing with my clothes. I left two outfits in there and one more pair of pajamas. I'll do laundry tomorrow morning and then all my clothes will be packed.

My closet was finally emptied out except for one pair of shoes and two outfits. I looked at it and I realized there was a box on the floor. I didn't recognize it. "What is this?" I asked to myself.

I bent down and grabbed it. Dust was all over the top of it. I wiped it off and I immediately recognized it. I've never opened it. Not since I got it.

I opened the box and memories flooded back. It was all moms stuff that dad tried to throw away. The box had bracelets, necklaces, photos, rings, and just small things she had. I grabbed a photo out of the box and it was a family picture of the three of us. I started crying. Mom would be so disappointed in me.

I put everything back in the box and put the lid back on. I wanted to keep it with me. The movers would be taking everything except a few boxes I could take. I already arranged the whole thing. They'll be here at 10:00 on the tenth.

I wanted to make sure her stuff was safe.

I snuck out to my new car and put the box in the back under one of the seats. That way dad wouldn't see it, either, just in case.

I snuck back inside and I really needed to sleep off tonight.