Chapter 22

Sodapop's POV

"Soda!" Steve yelled coming up to me after third period.

"Hey, man. I'm mot liking the new schedule change." I said. "I like having my classes with ya." I said with an eye roll. "Stupid semester changes."

"Who cares. Dude guess who I just saw." He said.

"Who? Elvis?" I asked with a laugh.

"Haha, very funny." He said with an eye roll.

"I laughed, so it was funny." I said walking to my next class.

"Fine. I just won't tell ya." He said pushing me into a locker.

"Oh screw you. Who was it?" I asked.

"Well, since I'm the best friend in the world, I'll tell ya. It was Loren." He said.

"Loren Areno?" I asked.

"Yep." He said.

"The Loren Areno?" I asked again. "Like the Loren who lived with us her entire life and left in a second?"

"Same girl."

"I thought she left for Colorado."

"Dude, I don't know. We just had second period together. I swear! It was her."

"I haven't seen her. Maybe you're losing your mind." I said messing with him.

"Whatever. Fine. See for yourself. It'll come out at some point. She was hanging with the guy who pulled her outta that accident."

"Brett Meer?"

"That's the guy."

"Well, maybe I'll run into 'em. I gotta get to class. See ya at gym." I said walking away.

Could Loren really be back? She seemed so eager to go. Why come back?

Loren's POV

The first half of my school day was pretty fun. But then it was time for gym. I never really liked it but it was a required course.

We changed into gym clothes and I had Marilyn and Brent for this class. Marilyn and I went outside the locker room and met up with Brent at the track field.

"Mr. James is a fun teacher. You'll like him." Brett said. Marilyn agreed.

"Alright. Welcome to second semester, everyone. Let's start off with warmups." Mr. James said. "Who are you? I've never seen you before." He said to me. It wasn't mean though. It was in a gym teacher kinda voice. Like it was a funny joke.

I grinned. "I'm Loren. I kinda transferred here."

"Kinda?" He asked.

"I went to school here for my freshman and sophomore year and I moved away for six months to Colorado. But I'm back as a junior." I said with a grin.

"Well, great to meet ya." He said shaking my hand. "Let's go everyone!"

Sodapop's POV

"I told you. I told you. I told you. I told you." Steve whispered to me as we were doing pushups.

I was too in shock to say anything. Why is she back? It's not like I could just go up and talk to her.

But I really wanna know why she's back. Even if I'm still mad at her for leaving.

But I still could never hate her.

Loren's POV

The day finished and I managed to avoid everyone from the gang. I think. I hope they didn't see me. But if they did, they would have said something... right?

Aria, Marilyn and I went to the park and we did homework. They asked about where my parents were and I gave them a bit of details. How mom died when I was young and how traumatizing it was. How my dad wasn't apart of my life until now, really. I lived with the Curtis'. Most of it.

"You mean to tell me you lived with Sodapop Curtis? Goodness, he's a doll. I'm surprised you didn't fall for him." Marilyn said.

"Nah. I couldn't. He was my best friend. I've known him ever since I was born. Our moms were good friends. We were almost born to be friends." I said with a grin.

"I wish I had a friend like that. I mean, I got you guys but I've never lived with ya." Aria said with a laugh.

I laughed too. "Actually, before I left, we got in a huge argument. We didn't really leave things on the best terms. I haven't talked to him since I left. I wish I could fix things but I kinda did something a little messed up after the accident. I feel horrible about it. But I can't fix it now. He hates my guts."

"I'm sorry. But hey, you probably wouldn't have met us if it weren't for the accident. And although it was bad, in a way... it was kinda good!" Marilyn said.

I grinned. "Yeah. Maybe."

Sodapop's POV
Dal, Johnny, Pony, Steve, Two-Bit and I walked home and met Darry in the living room.

"Hey, guys. How was your day?"

"Interesting." Steve, Pony and I said at the same time.

"Why? What happened?" Darry asked.

We all looked at each other except for Johnny and Dallas. They must not have seen Loren.

Ponyboy spoke up. "Loren's back from Colorado and she's hanging out with Aria Miller, the most popular girl in school and Brett Meer and Marilyn Grada." He said quickly.

"Loren's back? Did you guys say hi?" Darry asked

"Absolutely not." Steve said before anyone could say anything. "Why would I wanna talk to her?"

"Cause shes your friend." Johnny said.

"Was. She was my friend. Even then, I didn't think she liked me very much."

"She liked ya. She might have just had a weird way of showing it." Johnny said.

"Don't defend her. She's an asshole." Dallas said. "After all the shit she pulled, she deserves this.

"You can't blame her. The poor girls been through so much. Watching her mom die and dad get arrested. Then her other parental figures passing away. She's never had any real parental guidance." Johnny said.

"Neither did I and look how I turned out." Dallas said.

"My point exactly." Johnny said.

We all laughed.

"Watch your mouth." Dallas said. "I swear, if I see her again I'm gonna-"

Darry cut him off. "Alright. That's enough. I swear, you could be from Jersey with that mouth ya got there."

"One day she's gonna snap and you guys are gonna realize all that I just said was true." Johnny said.

I didn't really know how to feel about her.

But I didn't have time to think about her.

Maybe work will take my mind off of her.