Chapter 21

Loren's POV

I never truly meant what Aunt Jenna being a "lost cause" meant, until now. She was never gonna get better. At least not in this environment.

"I'm sorry about the smell! Everything was just so sudden that I didn't have time to clean up." She said in a rush.

"Oh, don't worry about it. It's all ok." I said. I knew damn well I didn't mean it. I wanted to help her but if a rehabilitation center couldn't, what could I do?

The best thing I could do is push it aside and a try to avoid it.

I think.

I finished unpacking on Sunday night and hoped that it would be the last time I would be packing and unpacking all my things up for a while. I called dad when I got there to let him know I was ok and then I called him today, too.

I had school the next day and even though I went to this school for two years, a six month break where you have to state over with no friends isn't exactly ideal.

I was nervous all night though. What if I see someone from the gang?

Sodapop's POV

"Go to bed! You have school tomorrow!" Darry yelled. Ponyboy and I both groaned. "I mean it!" He continued.

I rolled my eyes. "Come on. Let's get ready." I said taking the football from Pony.

Even I got excited for school now. I rejoined school a few months after Loren left. Now I just work part time at the DX.

Lucky for me, Steve and I got the same classes. Our school does this thing where if you're new, or happen to take a break, you either get to pick a person or someone volunteers to take the same classes as you to get you adjusted. Not sure why, but I like it.

But I had a weird feeling something was gonna happen tomorrow. But I'm not sure what.

Loren's POV

I was real nervous for school. I did my hair in lose curls and put on a sweater and a skirt to match. It was probably the nicest thing I owned. It made me feel like a Soc. I've always wished I was one. Not a grease who gets spit on every time I go near a Soc. But it is what it is. Maybe this will be a good first impression.

I drove to school, even though Aunt Jenna insisted on driving me. I'd rather go by myself. Clear my head. Y'know?

I pulled in the parking lot and grabbed my bag. I looked up at the huge school and looked at my schedule. I had to find room 109 for world history.

I haven't been here in so long. And I'm a junior. I've never been to this side of the building before. I went from door to door looking for Mr. Holtz's history class in room 109. It took me a while but I finally found it.

I walked in the room and it was even more terrifying than I imagined. I looked around and the teacher wasn't there yet. I put my bag on a chair and started to sit down.

"Loren!" Someone yelled

It startled me a bit. I turned around and looked for the guy who just yelled my name.

"Excuse ms, excuse me." A guy said pushing through the cliques. "Hey! You made it!" He said with a grin.

"Umm... don't take this the wrong way, but do I know you?" I asked in the most polite way possible.

"Yeah, ya do. You did." He said correcting himself. "But probably don't remember me. I volunteered to take all your classes. That way you don't have to struggle on your own."

I do remember Will Rogers doing that. I didn't think someone would actually volunteer for me, though.

"Sorry. Let me introduce myself since you probably don't remember me. I'm Brett Meer." He said holding his hand out for me to shake.

"Hi..." I mumbled getting a good look at him. I gasped when I realized who it was. "Oh my goodness! You were the guy who pulled me out of my car when I got in the accident!" I said excitedly. I hugged him. "You saved my life, y'know. How could I ever repay you?" I asked.

"Don't want one. I'm just glad you're ok." He said with a grin. "My older sister was in an accident like that when she was 16. I remembered what it was like not knowing if she was ok and I desperately wished someone had helped her. I didn't want another family having to go through the same that mine did."

I grinned. "Well, thank you. I owe you my life. I would have pulled that pole of glass out of my body and that would have ended very badly." I said with a fake laugh. "So, thank you. And thank you for taking my classes. I was already so lost during the first five minutes of school. I could not handle the next six hours." I said with a playful eye roll.

Brett laughed. "Sorry for coming up so aggressive. I knew you probably wouldn't recognize me. That whole day is probably a little fuzzy to ya." He said with a laugh. "I just got a bit excited."

I grinned. "No, it's alright. You could punch me in the face and I'd still be grateful for you." We both laughed and talked for a bit. The bell rang and we both sat down.

The first hour wasn't too bad. At least I already had a new friend.

We were walking down the hallways to our next class and we walked up to this group of girls. "Hey." Brett said.

"Hi." They both said at the same time. "Wait, are you Loren Areno? The girl Brett's taking his classes with."

I nodded. "The one and only." I said with a small smirk.

"You're so pretty! It's nice to meet ya. I'm Aria. This is Marilyn." She said motioning to the girl next to her.

"Nice to meet you guys. And thank you." I said shaking her hand.

"Brett told us about your car accident," Marilyn started. "I'm so sorry. I can't believe it happened." I frowned. "Oh, shoot. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." She said trying to make me smile.

I quickly wiped away my frown and looked up. "No. It just holds a lot more memories than it should. It's ok." I said with a grin.

She smiled. "Alright. I won't bring it up. But I have gym class with you guys." Marilyn said. "Fourth period."

"I have third and sixth period with y'all." Aria said.

"Well, I'll see you guys then." I said with a grin.

"We're all going to the park after school. Do our homework, hang out, then go to the diner for dinner. Wanna come?" Aria asked.

"I'd love to. I'll call my aunt after school and let her know." I said with a smile.

"What about your parents?" Aria asked.

I sighed. "It's a long story. I can explain it to you later."

"Alright. We'll see you guys later. Have fun on your first day!" Marilyn said.

I smiled. "See ya later." I said waving and walking with Brett to our next class.

Today's gonna be a good day.