Chapter 23

Sodapop's POV

Steve and I drove to work and hung out there for a bit.

"Oh boy..." Steve said.

"What?" I asked.

"Looks who's in the park." He said pointing.

Well... so much for getting her off my mind.

Loren's POV

The sun was about to set and after a long afternoon of laughing, it was time to go home.

"I gotta get to work. I hate the night shift." Brett said.

"Ugh. I need to get a job." I said picking up my stuff.

"I work at the diner. I'm a cook. They're looking for some waitresses to work the night shifts. If that's good for you." He said. "It would be cool to have someone to talk to while I work instead of old women." He said.

I laughed. "I mean, I don't have any experience. But I'll apply." I said.

"Come on. I'll drive ya there. See ya tomorrow." Brett said to Marilyn and Aria.

"Good luck, Loren!" Aria said.

"Thanks." I said waving.

We got in his car and drove to the diner downtown. It was pretty busy.

He walked back and put an apron on. "Hey, Mr. Carter!" Brett yelled.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked.

"Can you get my friend an application?"

He grabbed a piece of paper from a drawer. "Fill it out and give it back to me."

"Alright." I filled it out on the spot and handed it to him.

"Thanks..." he said looking at the application. "Loren?"

"Yep." I said with a smile. I shook his hand.

"Alright. I'll give ya a call if you got the job. See ya." He said.

"Alright. Thank you. See ya tomorrow, Brett." I said waving.

I went back to Aunt Jenna's and there were a ton of cars parked outside. There must have been at least 5. I walked inside and tons of girls were downing shots and there were beer bottles everywhere. There were three guys or so on the couch.

"HEY LOREN!" Aunt Jenna asked.

"Aunt Jenna? Are you drinking?"

"HELL YEAH SHE IS!" One of her friends shouted.

"But... you just got out of rehab... what are you doing?" I asked.

"LET HER HAVE FUN! DON'T BE A BUZZ KILL!" Some guy on the couch yelled.

"THANKS BABY!" Aunt Jenna yelled back. I didn't know she had a boyfriend.

"I'm gonna go to my room. I have school tomorrow so could you keep the noise down?"

"HOW 'BOUT YOU JOIN US INSTEAD?" Her friend yelled with a loud obnoxious laugh.

I panicked and ran to my room. No no no. No drinking. Don't end up like your family.

I shouldn't have moved back in with her. I knew she was a lost cause. But never in my life did I think it was this bad.

I waited in my room and I didn't get a phone call from the diner. I decided to just take a shower and go to bed.

I was in my covers and my phone rang. I immediately picked it up and said "hello."

"Hey, this is Ian Carter, from the diner. Is this Loren Areno?"

"Yeah this is her." I said, filled with hope.

"Well, congratulations. You got the job. Brett spoke highly of you. I'll see ya on Thursday at 8."

I grinned. "Thank you! I'll be there." I said jumping up and down.

"Great. Talk to ya later."

"Ba-bye."

I hung up the phone and started jumping up and down. What a nice surprise at the end of a long day.

I went to bed and I was in a better mood for school the next day. It was quickly ruined by the dumb guys who are in my grade.

"Hey, Loren right?" One asked.

"Yeah, that's me." I said with a confused look. "Do I know you?" He didn't look familiar at all.

"Nah, I'm Garrett. You're real pretty. Mind if I take ya out sometime?"

"Sorry. Not interested." I said walking to my locker.

"Aww, come on. Just give me a chance, doll." He kinda reminded me of Dallas. I hated it. Dal was a cool guy, but I'd never go out with someone like him.

"Back off." Someone said coming up behind me.

"For real. I'm not interested." I said once I realized it was Aria.

"Fine. Whatever. Your loss." He said walking away.

"Sorry about that. Guys are dicks. They must have saw us hanging out yesterday and they're obsessed with me and Marilyn. Now they'll be obsessed with you. Sorry, girl."

"It's alright. It's fun to be popular. Sometimes." We both laughed.

"I'll see ya later." She said.

I walked to first period and sat down with Brett. I swear I saw Sodapop walking down the halls but I know that's not true. He dropped out. But then I saw Steve in my class and my day was already kinda ruined. I wished I could have avoid them but I knew I couldn't. Maybe he didn't see me?

School finished and everyone was going home. But I didn't really want to. Aunt Jenna isn't exactly the type of person I wanna be around. Otherwise I'll end up just like her.

When I was on the phone with Aunt Jenna, she asked the real reason I wanted to come home. I told her.

I told her most of it.

I told her it was because I didn't wanna be around my dad.

I said it a lot nicer, I swear.

I was thinking, I could have died from that accident.

That drunk man could have killed me.

Just like how dad could have killed that girl. I think her name was Lizzie? I haven't had a nightmare about her in forever. But then I moved to Colorado and they started coming back. Then dad started drinking with Carlos.

Hell, I don't even know if that girls alive.

I didn't hear much about her.

But he was drinking and it brought back too many memories and bad dreams.

I thought I could escape it.

I really did.

But I guess I just couldn't.