Chapter 19

Loren's POV

After the ten hour drive, we finally made it to Denver. It was a real pretty town. Dad and I really did have a lot to catch up on. I did most of the talking, actually. He only had his jail stories and they made me a little upset he had to deal with that.

But I did leave out all the stuff about the accident. When he asked about the bruises, I just said fist fights. A good rumble. Although I was never interested in it. I don't know how I'll be able to explain the scar on my stomach from getting impaled.

Let's just hope he never sees it.

Dad was giving me directions and we ended up on an off road right outside downtown Denver.

There was a house with a lot of property outside. It had a long drive way. This guy must have been rich. But as I got closer, I realized it was actually a small ranch house. I saw all my stuff sitting in the lawn in boxes from the movers.

Dad knocked on the door and a man just around his age opened the door. When it was opened, it reeked with alcohol. I was already regretting this decision.

"Hey, man." Dad said. "Long time no see. How have ya been?"

"Pretty damn good." He said inviting us inside.

"So where should Loren put her stuff?"

"Daisy's room is down the hall to the left right after the bathroom. But plug your nose as ya walk by. I just took a massive shit in there." Carlos said. Him and dad both laughed but I found it disgusting.

I went outside and brought the boxes in from my car. Starting with moms stuff. I walked to the room and he wasn't kidding. It smelled horrible.

I opened the door and the room already had stuff in it. It was already decorated. But I thought his daughter moved out?

"Hey, excuse me." I said as politely as possible. "Can I move your daughters stuff? It's just cause I don't have room for my furniture and stuff."

"No." He said straight up.

I gave him a shocked look. "Huh?" I asked. I put moms stuff down on the floor and followed him. "But, what about my stuff? I thought she moved out."

"Yeah. She did. But Daisy comes back on weekends."

"So she didn't move out?" I asked dumbly.

"No. She goes to college. But she comes back on weekends to visit her old man. You should have done the same." He walked out the back and I just stood there dumbfounded.

"Think of it like a built in roommate! You had three boys for ten years. You finally get a girl around your age." Dad said coming up behind me.

"I guess..." I mumbled.

It wasn't until Friday where I had all my things officially moved in. Boy, it felt good to have a bed of my own. Carlos has an extra in the basement. I moved my stuff next to Daisy's and hoped she wouldn't mind. But I was exhausted. Dad and Carlos have been doing their own thing while I've been unpacking. But it was almost 11 so I decided to go to bed.

I drifted asleep until I heard footsteps across the house. I was always a light sleeper. It was probably dad or Carlos.

"Shh. Shh. My dads asleep. His friends also moved in." A voice whispered. I barely opened my eyes and I saw the clock on my nightstand blinked 1:52.

I heard a moan and something that sounded like... kissing?

I sat up and I saw two shadowed figures on the bed next to mine. I screamed and fell off the bed.

The two figures frantically got up and I ran to the door. I ran into another person as I opened it.

"Loren? What's going on?" It was dad.

"There are two strangers in my room!" I yelled running behind him.

"What the hell is going on?" Carlos asked coming in the room with a bat. "Daisy?" He asked.

"Daddy! Why the hell is a stranger in my room?!" She yelled.

"That's your daughter?"

"Yes! And you interrupted her private time with her boyfriend!"

"What?!" I yelled. "You're ok with that?" I asked.

"Of course. It's my little girl." He said putting the bar down. He looked at the guy. "This isn't the guy you brought back last week."

"Duh. I couldn't be seen with the same guy twice." She said with an eye roll.

I was still super confused. "The names Carlos. Nice to meet ya." He said shaking the guys hand.

"Brett." The boy said shaking his hand skeptically. "But I think I need to go..." He mumbled.

"Wait! Brent! Or Brett? Come back!" She looked at me. "Look whay you did!"

Carlos looked at me. "Apologize to Daisy! Now!" He yelled.

"Me? Apologize? Absolutely not! She scared me half to death!"

"Here. It's ok. How's this, you can have my room. I'll sleep in the basement. My rooms got its own bathroom, too." Dad said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Of course. Whatever you need." He said with a grin.

"Thanks, dad."

I spend yet ANOTHER day moving everything out of Daisy's room and into dads. Daisy had yet another guy over the next night. It blows my mind how Carlos could be ok with his daughter hooking up with random guys. No parent should be ok with that.

But then again, maybe this is normal. I doubt it, but I guess I don't know what normal is.

It was times like these where I was wishing I had stayed in Tulsa with the Curtis' and not faked the whole being mute thing.

But I have to do this. For dad.

Mom would be so proud of me for giving him this chance.

I just have to deal with it.

I'll go to college in two years.

But a part of me knew I shouldn't have to look forward to moving out.

And two years is gonna go by so... so... slow...