Chapter 29

Loren's POV

I sat in the seat behind me and put my hands on my knees and my face in my hands. I didn't wanna cry but I was dangerously close.

I saw Soda sit next to me. I could tell it was him by his work shoes.

"Loren... I hate to show you this but for policy reasons we have to since you can't see him." She said. I stood up and blinked away my tears.

"Alright..." I mumbled.

Sodapop looked up at me and Carlos and Daisy were sitting down the row next us.

"This is gonna be tough but in order to really show you what's going on, it has to happen."

"Just show me." I said nervously.

She showed me three black and white pictures that were printed off. I gasped and quickly covered my mouth.

The first one was of dad coughing up blood. The second was him with an oxygen mask. The third one was him sleeping with needles put in his arm. The girl was talking to me but I couldn't focus.

"Loren?" Sodapop asked.

"I-" I tried to say the words I was trying to say but so many things were going through my head right now.

That's exactly how mom looked when she died... Sodapop looked at the papers and mumbled "uh-oh."

I couldn't take it anymore. I ran. I ran down past Carlos and Daisy down the corner and just away from all of it.

I couldn't take it.

Sodapop's POV

I could tell the nurse was hesitant to show Loren the photos. But I wasn't sure why. I know this is sensitive but I wonder if she knows Loren's especially sensitive.

The nurse was talking to her and you could tell Loren was paying no attention whatsoever. She said her name a few times but she wasn't listening.

I stood up and said her name and she snapped out of her daze. I looked at the photos and I knew exactly why it hit her hard.

It was the exact resemblance of her mom.

I felt horrible.

Loren couldn't take it more and ran down the hallway.

"Loren!" I called out.

"I knew it was a bad idea to show her. After her mom and all."

"How did you know her mom died?"

"To get the phone number to call her, I had to go through medical records and I found out she was staying with another family. I called that number after her aunt didn't pick up. That poor girl."

Loren's POV

Sodapop called after me as I bolted down the hallway but all I was focused on was get out of there. I just wanted to be alone to cry. I made it to the end of the hallway and there was one room and a few chairs.

"Loren!" I heard Sodapop say. I heard him running too.

I looked around. Nothing. I just wanted to be alone.

I turned around and I noticed something in the wall.

I didn't want this day to be anything like how mom died.

But I wanted to be alone.

I crawled into the air vent and curled up in a ball.

"Loren?" Sodapop asked.

I ignored him.

"Loren? I hear you." He said again. "Are you in the air vent?" He asked.

I still stayed curled up into my little ball.

"How did you even fit in there?" He asked. "Come on, Loren. You don't wanna be alone, do you?" I ignored him again. "You don't come out, I come in." He said.

Ignored.

"Fine. I'm coming in then."

He crawled through but I refused to leave my little ball.

I was in the center of the small room in the ventilation system and Soda sat in the corner. He managed to stretch his legs out which I was surprised about since it was pretty small and Soda was a lot taller than me and I could barely fit.

He finally made it in and sat next to me. "I'm so sorry Loren. I've been horrible to you ever since my parents died. There was no reason to cast it all on you. You've been my best friend for so long. I should have been there for you instead of making you feel like you had to do what you did to see if we cared. We did care. We do. Darry was real worried about you when you left. So was Johnny. Everyone was. But they just didn't show it as much. Seeing you in school was a realization for us. We needed you. We took your for granted. I should have been there for you since day 1 and I haven't. I've been horrible to you. I'm proud of you for making it this far. I know your aunt isn't a great role model. But I'll do what I can to keep you from all of that stuff. I'm glad you kept away from it for as long as you did. I'm sorry for the horrible friend I've been. I really hope your dads ok. I cant watch you go through the same thing you went through with your mom. And I talked to the nurse. She said you could go in and see him. I hope we can be ok soon. I don't deserve to be forgiven. I know I don't. You don't have to say anything. I just want you to know I'm gonna be here for you."

Just listening to him made me feel better. I hope he meant what he said cause I believed it all and I didn't doubt it for a second.

I wasn't able to say anything. I didn't wanna seem weaker than I already was.

But I wanted to thank him. I didn't want him to think I was mad at him. So instead of saying anything, I pulled him into a hug and laid in his arms.

I never wanted to let go.

I felt safe.

And let me tell you, I haven't felt safe like this in what seems like forever.