Chapter 26

Loren's POV

"What do y'all want to drink?" I asked.

"Three cokes, two waters, two Pepsi's." Darry said. Every time I got close, they're conversations died down and they got quiet.

I filled up the seven drinks and carried them over with my hands. I almost spilled them but it was easier than getting a tray. I wanted to be out as quick as possible.

"Alright. What do you guys want to eat?"

"I'll have chicken tenders with fries." Pony said.

"Me too." Soda continued.

"I'll just have the house salad." Darry said.

"Johnny and I are having the cheeseburger."

"I'll have a hamburger." Steve said.

Dallas didn't say anything.

"You getting anything?" I asked rudely.

"You gonna write that down?"

"No." I said dumbly.

"Why not?" He retaliated.

"Ive been out to eat with you guys before. Many times. Y'all get the same thing every time." I said. "I'm assuming you'll want the hot dog."

He grinned. Uh oh. "I want cheese sticks, a large pizza, two milkshakes, and a hamburger."

I rolled my eyes and skated away. I rang in the order and waited for it to be ready.

"Hopefully they'll eat and get out." Brett said.

"I've had dinner with them before. They come in very last minute so service is faster but they'll be here for a long time. An hour and a half if we're lucky." I said with a fake grin.

"God. That's fun." He said sarcastically.

"Tell me about it. It's fun when you're being served but now that I'm in this position, it's not." I said with a laugh.

"Well, I've got most of they're meals ready. Just got one more hamburger."

"Alright. I'll start taking them over. It's gonna take two trips anyway." I said starting to grab things. I took over Darry's, Johnny's, Sodapop's, Ponyboys, and Two-Bits things on my arms and put them down. I skated back over and got Dallas' meal that was fit to feed an entire family and Steve's hamburger.

I placed it down and started to skate away.

"Yo! Server! Get back here!" Steve yelled.

"What are you doing?" Johnny whispered.

"Shh." Steve said.

I took a deep breath and slowed down. "Yes?" I asked in the calmest voice I could.

"You got my order wrong." He said pushing the hamburger out of the way.

Dallas laughed.

"What did you want?" I asked.

"A cheeseburger."

"The hell? No you didn't."

"What did you just say to me?" He asked standing up.

"Steve. Knock it off." Sodapop said.

"You don't even like cheese!" I yelled.

"I like them now. Maybe you shouldn't have left and you would have known that. Write it down next time." He said sitting back down.

I took a breath and grabbed the plate with the hamburger on it.

"Alright. My apologies." I said in the nicest way possible.

I started to skate away from the table and my anger got the best of me. I slammed the plate to the ground and the hamburger spilled everywhere.

"I FUCKING HATE IT HERE!" I yelled throwing my skates off. I threw them down the row of booths and grabbed my bag.

"Woah, Loren. You ok?" Brett asked.

"NO I'M NOT OK! I WANNA JUST FUCKING DISAPPEAR!" I yelled grabbing stuff out of my bag.

"What are you looking for?" He asked.

I groaned and threw every tip I made tonight onto the counter from my pocket. "TAKE IT! TAKE IT ALL! ITS NOT FUCKING WORTH IT ANYWAY!" I said throwing all the money out of my bag onto the counter.

"Loren, come on. You aren't gonna let one person ruin your night, are you?" He asked trying to calm me down.

I angrily put my shoes on and started yelling again. "YES! YES I AM! AND ITS NOT JUST ONE PERSON! IT'S THIS ENTITE GODDAMN TOWN!" I yelled.

"Where are you going?" He asked as I opened the door.

"TO DRINK MY LIFE AWAY JUST LIKE THE REST OF MY FAMILY DID!" I yelled slamming the door.

The door shattered as I walked out but I just handed Brett all my money so I hope it'll cover the door and the plate.

I know everyone probably thought I was joking. But I wasn't. I didn't care anymore. It's all I'm gonna end up like anyway. Fuck it.

Sodapop's POV

"Oh... my... God..." Brett said going up the door. Loren just completely shattered the door as she slammed it shut.

"I told you guys she was gonna snap." Johnny said eating his food.

"Well shit. I didn't even know that girl was capable of getting angry. Never seen it before. Seen her argue but she always seems to cave in before things get serious." Steve said.

"Well... maybe if I take her this pizza she'll feel better. Wasn't gonna eat it anyway." Dallas said.

"Oh boy. She's gonna get fired. Ah fuck." Brett said.

He grabbed all her money and put it in his bag and tied her skates together.

Dallas shoved everyone outta the way and walked up to Brent. "I'll take the blame for this one."

"It doesn't matter! He's gonna look at the cameras! Unless we get all this fixed before Monday! He's off on weekends but that's just not enough time."

"I know a guy." Dallas said. He looked over at Darry. "Darry, we need a new door by Sunday."

"But workers are gonna come in tomorrow and see it."

He looked back at us. "Darry, we need a new door by the next hour."

Brett rolled his eyes and picked up the plate and food.

"Umm... maybe I should go look for her?" I asked Darry.

"Good idea." Darry said. He walked up to Brett. "We'll just pay now. Keep the change. Make sure to give Loren this tip." Darry said handing him a bunch of cash. "We'll help clean up, too."

"No. Just go make sure she's ok. I gotta clean up and close the place up." Brett said.

"Maybe we should just go." Ponyboy said. "We've caused enough trouble."

"Soda, do you wanna go find her and bring her back to our house?" Darry asked.

"Sounds good." I said.