Chapter One: Put a Guy in His Place

Rebecca

"Alright, we all know the room smells like crap, but there's nothing we can do about it since dissecting will continue another few days," Mrs. Wilson told us after a group of boys in class started complaining. As if they've never been in a smelly room before. Really? I'm betting that this room smells a thousand times better than theirs does at home. I'm just saying.

"Can we open up a window or something," One of the cry babies asked her while pinching his nose shut.

She rolled her eyes annoyed and waved him off, allowing him to do as he pleased. "So today we will start dissecting the sharks..." More like we will start cutting things open while she checks her facebook page. "I want groups no bigger than four." She said as she pulled out large boxes with clear plastic bags flowing out of them.

Already, girls in the class look like they're going to barf any minute. Including Rachel, my best friend, who hates the idea of cutting open dead animals for the sake of science. I have to admit that it's messed up, but it's better than reading the textbook or working on worksheets.

Cody, and his three other friends, had already gotten up to get started. Last time we had to dissect, they decided to joke around and put small intestines on a girl's head. Completely immature, disgusting, and cruel in my opinion. Pretty sure we're in high school, these boys need to grow up and act their age. The only reason I tolerate the jerks is because Cody has been my friend for eight years, and loves his 'brothers' to death.

They're lucky they haven't ever messed with me. Which is for the best, because if any of them even dared to even talk to me it'd be a moment they'd regret forever. Of course I talk big. Who doesn't? But I don't always act big. Only because there are teachers here who find joy out of sending students to the principal's office, a place that I would prefer to not be sent to during the last two weeks of school.

"Rebecca, Cody ditched us again for the douche-bags," Rachel grumbled as she stood beside my desk and glared daggers in his direction.

I turned to see if he had seen her, and laughed when he cowered behind his friends. "No biggy, we can beat him up about it later," I told her with an evil grin.

Then I noticed two of the quieter girls looking for partners to work with. Since we needed to move fast, and they had brains, I waved them over to join me and Rachel.

"Hey Rebecca," One named Kathy smiled briefly. She was always shy and sweet, but never have I ever seen her look so down before.

"What's wrong?" I asked her curiously.

"N-Nothing," She stammered, "I'm just tired."

That's a lie, but I won't pester her to death. Of course that doesn't stop me from being curious though. Why would Kathy have something to lie about? It just doesn't make sense.

"Let's get started," Rachel said while pulling me out of my seat and dragging me to a lab table near Cody's group.

"Whoa, I don't want to work over here, they might toss organs at us." I complained while trying to break free from her tight grip. As if he heard us, Cody called our names. Once we looked at him, he started pretending to weigh some of the organs in his hands before he winked at us.

"Well if they do we'll just have to kick their asses now won't we?" She asked. I watched as she flexed her arm a little in an attempt to show me her muscles.

Sure, if she doesn't get sick and run out of the room before they get a chance. This is going to be a long hour.

***