13. An ocean to drown in

She climbed out of the bed, she had to pee and she wanted some food. Her legs were just fine so she didn't see a problem with walking. She walked out of the room, wanting to grab some food first. She closed the door behind her, leaving Elodie— who was on her phone— alone in the room. She walked a bit further into the hallway, stopping in her tracks when she saw Joe and Harry. She walked a bit closer so she could hear what was being sad. The first thing she heard was Joe asking something along the tracks of "Why not?" If she was being honest, she didn't get what they were talking about. All she did get was that when she heard the words "I'm seeing someone else." come out of Harry's mouth she felt her heart sink. As if it just dropped down and fell out. As if someone just grabbed it out of her chest, tore it out. How could he. How could he possibly. She didn't understand. It was supposed to be them. It had always been them, them against everything. They had gotten trough everything, always, and now he was seeing someone else. She didn't get it, how could she possibly get it. Did he start seeing her after the accident, could he not wait a month for her? Did he not love her enough for that?

The truth was that he had waited, he had waited almost ten years for her. Ten years for her to realize that he loved her and that they were supposed to be together but it had never happened. Obviously, she didn't know that, she didn't know that part anymore. All she knew was that it felt like her heart was just ripped out of her chest. That the man she thought was her husband didn't care to be with her anymore.

A tear rolled down her cheek, another one followed. She turned around, she had already tuned out of the conversation, she didn't care to hear about it. So she turned around and ran. She couldn't go back to her room, Elodie was there and she didn't want her to see her cry. So she ran, she ran along the hallway. She ran until she found an empty room. She went inside, locking the door behind her.

She had heard the footsteps behind her, she had ignored them. She knew they belonged to both Joe and Harry and she didn't care. She didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

"Taylor, open up." That was Harry. "Taylor, please open." That was Joe, he always took the softer approach. "Go away. Please."

Taylor shook her head, walking away from the door. She sat down on the bed, letting the tears flow down.

The knocking on the door didn't stop. She sighed, "Please. Go away." They didn't listen.

•*•*•*•

She opened the door, looking right into two blue orbs. "Joe, please go to El, she's alone, she shouldn't be." Joe nodded, "Of course." He softly smiled before leaving Taylor and Harry alone.

Taylor walked back into the room, sitting down on the bed with a sigh. "I don't know what you heard Taylor but I'm sorry." "You're seeing someone."

"I am." He nodded, a faint smile on his lips. Taylor stayed silent, looking ahead of her. "Explain." He nodded, "I waited for you Taylor, I did." "A month." "Ten years." She shook her head.

"No, I wasn't out for that long." "I know you weren't. Look at your hand." She did as he said, she looked down, seeing the ring on her finger. "This isn't our wedding ring, where is our wedding ring Harry?"

"What is this ring. Please explain." "You are with Joe. You have been for the longest time. I waited. I waited so long but I couldn't anymore so when I met Madison, I took the chance." "But I'm not with- I'm not with Joe. I can't be." Harry shook his head, "You are. We didn't talk for years, only recently we started taking again. I don't know why this part of your brain is messed up right now, it doesn't make sense."

Taylor looked at him, not fully understanding. "But... I don't.. It's us. It's always been us Harry. How does this.. How does this make any sense. It will always be us Harry." He looked at her, not sure what to say.

He wished he could tell her that she was right, deep down he knew she was, it would always be them. But she moved on and now he was too, she would always be in his heart, always. She would always be his great love but he had to move on, didn't he?

She was just confused now, she had to be. That's what he told himself, she was just confused. She didn't understand the situation yet and is just having trouble accepting the changes.

"I'm sorry. I should, I should go." She got up and walked out. He didn't follow her, not this time. It wasn't his right to do so. He couldn't follow her. She knew the truth now and she would do with that what she wanted. So he stayed there, he stayed there for three hours before getting up. He got up and walked out. Right out of the hospital, got in his car and drove him.

When he got home he saw Madison there, the person he supposed was now the person who would be inspiring his new songs. The person he supposed would be his new definition of home.

He supposed so, he wasn't sure because that night, when he sat down at the piano. He sat there thinking about her. All his thoughts ended on her. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't get rid of her.

She was always there, all the songs he started all ended up being about her. Brown hair, green eyes, that's what was supposed to occupy his mind but instead his mind was full of her. Her blonde hair with sparkles of gold when the light hit it just right, bright blue eyes like the ocean that he would willingly drown in every second of his life.

No matter how many songs he wrote, they all had one thing in common. Her.