Chapter 8

They returned to the Big House because He Tian wanted to clean up and catch a bit of sleep before going out to the coconut farm in the afternoon. Rica's mother gave them a basket filled with ripe mangoes and several Puto Maya, the glutinous rice with bits of ginger. The old woman told them that the rice was steamed with coconut milk until the oil came out or something of the sort. Mo Guan Shan couldn't visualize the process but the food sure made him want to eat more. It's not too sweet like the biko and it's fragrant, so to say that he's smitten is an understatement.

Mo Guan Shan settled on the sofa to wait but He Tian's taking so long inside the bathroom so he went to the kitchen and hunted for the tablea that he knew was needed to make tsokolate. When he found the flat circles that resembled dry and rough chocolate coins, stashed inside a glass jar, he took a deep breath and inhaled the addictive aroma of raw chocolate.

"What are you doing?" He Tian asked from the kitchen doorway as he was drying his hair with a towel. He's wearing soft, comfortable pants that fell on his feet like a waterfall, but he's shirtless. Definitely going to bed.

"Figuring out how to make hot chocolate. Should I just toss these into boiling water?" he asked, still sniffing like a cokehead. He tried to bite the stuff but it's bitter so he didn't do that again.

"Ugh, man, can't we just sleep and do this later?" He Tian asked, closing the gap between them with several lazy strides and buried his face on Mo Guan Shan's neck. Smells like last night. Cozy, with a mild touch of sweat.

"You go to sleep. I'm making myself a hot chocolate."

"But I need to sleep with you," He Tian whined in a soft voice, clinging to the other guy who sighed and gently pushed him away so they could stand face to face.

"In case you can't tell, I am wide awake now. It's your fault so deal with it like a good boy."

He Tian let out a startled laugh and Mo Guan Shan blushed to his ears. It was just a gamble, trying to sound like he knows what he's doing and observing He Tian's reaction. Testing the waters, hoping it sticks.

"You're so cute when you put a foot down! I like it," he said, sticking out a thumb for him. "But seriously, please. We need this. Come on, wife."

Mo Guan Shan fought the urge to roll his eyes.

"Oh, shut up, man. What am I gonna do with all these food?"

"Leave it out for Santa," He Tian mumbled but Mo Guan Shan stared at him sternly so he sighed in resignation before shrugging. "Just leave them in the basket. We'll eat it later."

Mo Guan Shan stopped to calculate the pros and cons while staring at the grinning guy's face. He Tian would pester him all day if he doesn't give in now and if he gets all sulky, he'd surely ask him to model for him as payback. And posing for a fucking wooden sculpture is hell.

"Fuck. Okay, I give up."

He Tian let out a triumphant laugh before dragging him inside his room.

"Why are you being silly?"

"Because."

He Tian stared at him and the glint in his eyes made Mo Guan Shan want to run and hide. It's the side of him that he's been repressing ever since they got into this place. The He Tian who spent god knows how much just to have him for himself.

"You looked so perfect out there that I can't help myself," He Tian said. He reached out to embrace Mo Guan Shan.

"You're saying, I look like a farm animal?"

He Tian chuckled, brushing off his attempt to stray far away from such a serious topic.

"I want this life with you."