Chapter 18

"Whoa. You've got to be kidding me," Mo Guan Shan whispered when they were finally alone in Rica's old room. It was gonna be theirs for the night and with such a small bed, they will have to sleep on top of each other, if they both insist on sleeping together in the bed.

"It would be rude to decide to go home now," He Tian reminded him in a whisper. He sat on the bed and looked up at Mo Guan Shan who stood right in front of Rica's graduation photo. "But wasn't this a great day?"

"Haha, yeah, it's the longest day of my life. And I even got a prize."

"Your very first chicken."

"I'll name him after you."

"What? He Tian?"

"Nope. 3rdball."

"I don't have a third ball."

Mo Guan Shan laughed and He Tian relished the moment. It doesn't come very often, not when there's only the two of them. It sounded so refreshing. The guy sat on a chair by the window and hugged a giraffe plushie.

"In here, we're going to have the longest days for the rest of our lives."

"You really like it here, huh."

"I do. This is a dream come true," He Tian answered truthfully. "Why? You don't like this kind of life?"

"I don't really know how to answer that. I grew up in the city, with the internet and you know, with all the comforts it comes with."

And that's the truth, too. They may have been poor but looking at the people and the lifestyle in this place, his old life must have been so comfortable. And how long has it been since he last held a smartphone?

This place is temporary and Mo Guan Shan would never attach himself to something as transient as their stay in this country. Sooner or later, they're gonna have to face reality and leave their memories behind.

Even He Tian must have his own, fabulous life before all of these, and he's bound to return to that when the time comes. 

"That's new though, you having a 'dream come true' moment," he said instead, shaking off the thoughts from his head. But the dread lingered on his goosebumped skin. "I always thought you get what you want."

"I still haven't got you."

"That's . . . That's different," he said. He Tian pulled him down and let him sit on his lap, resting his chin on the bigger guy's collar. He Tian's hand gently rubbed his back, soothing his anxiety with each careful touch.

"I got your point. And to answer that, of course I have a lot of things that I can only dream about. Last year, I was too busy to even think about going on a break and living here seemed so impossible."

"And then? What happened?" Mo Guan Shan asked, lifting his face from He Tian's neck to see his reaction.

"Secret," He Tian smiled and pressed their noses together in a playful manner. Mo Guan Shan hugged him again and He Tian did the same. "You are the prettiest," he whispered.

Earlier, Mo Guan Shan watched He Tian while he expertly grated the coconut, like he's a grating machine. He gave it a shot himself, seeing how easily the other guy  finished the task. But it required good timing and control, so Mo Guan Shan had to stop several times to peek at his bumpy result. But he was glad he finished a pair, because He Tian looked at him like he did a really good job.

They ate native chicken stewed in ginger, lots of pepper and rich  coconut milk. Paired with steaming hot white rice, they ate like a bunch of sumo wrestlers. They even had Maja Blanca for dessert as they sat on the porch and talked about scary stories like humongous snakes living in the river and a crazy woman named Maria Labo who goes around with a bolo and butchers people on sight.