Chapter 2

When he entered the bathroom, He Tian's already scrubbing his body underneath the shower so he idled while brushing his teeth.

"Your teeth are going to fall off," He Tian called after a while so he rinsed his mouth and stomped towards the shower.

He closed his eyes as warm water hit his bare back, followed by He Tian's hands on his shoulders sliding down his arm and warm lips gently pressed on his nape. He shuddered. 

This man is making him too nervous.

"I-I think I'll wash up first."

There was a pause in everything, like the world stopped still, as if the other guy considered his options while gritting his teeth and holding himself back from crushing him. He braced himself for the worst but nothing came but a wisp of warm breath by his ear. 

"Take your time."

He Tian kissed his back and walked out from the shower and headed out the bathroom door before stopping.

"We've got a long way tomorrow. Soak up and sleep early," he said from the room.

Mo Guan Shan let out his breath. He wasn't even aware about holding it in until he felt nauseous.

It's not that he's afraid of having sex with this stranger. He's got nothing to lose now. But every time they're at close proximity, his insides would feel like it's filled with sawdust.

"What am I doing?"

By noon, they're already boarding a bus to The South. He asked where exactly they were going but that's He Tian's only answer. There were air conditioned bus but the guy smirked when he saw the rickety bus that would go the same way and dragged him to it before he could think of protesting. It smelt like rust and bad exhaust. What made it worse was that it was a hot day so while waiting for the bus to go, they sat squished tightly on each other like meatloaves inside an oven.

"There are other buses."

"This seemed fun. And if it crashes by overloading, you'll have the honour of dying with me," He Tian answered. But even he was sweating.

As usual, people were looking at them like they're freaks. He Tian's used to the attention and he would speak in English to the citizens. It's also surprising to know that almost all of them can easily talk to him in English. In China, you'd have a hard time finding your way when you can't speak nor read the language.

"What were you talking about with that man?"

"He's a conductor and he asked if we were here on a vacation. Told me I look good too."

"So we're going on a vacation?"

"Yup." 

"Why does it feel like we're heading to hell? It's fucking hot."

"Just because you're sitting next to me. My cross to bear."

Mo Guan Shan just turned his head to the open window and watched the crowd outside. Finally, the bus groaned to what life was left of it and slowly crawled out from the terminal. He Tian put on his headphones and held his hand without thinking before bringing it up to his face and kissed it.

"You sly fox!"

He Tian smiled and closed his eyes with his head uncomfortably leaning on the seat. He knew that he couldn't move or go away.

Mo Guan Shan sighed and leaned on the window. When the bus reached a highway by the side of the sea, he could feel the cool air on his face and he smiled. He never even dreamt of traveling because all he had in mind was to survive his school and part-time jobs. Their day to day expenses would always eat up his money so it's a never-ending cycle.

Now he's crammed inside a can like a sardine, going to The South, and maybe hell.

***

"Wake up!"

He stirred and He Tian's face was directly next to his. He can smell his menthol candy breath. The bus took a sharp turn that he almost bumped his forehead on the other boy's face. Then there was another turn and the bus driver drove like he's been cast in a Fast and Furious role.

"You'll miss the sights," he half-shouted because the wind and the engine muffled their voices. He pointed out the window. Mo Guan Shan yawned but reluctantly obliged and gasped in awe at the mountains and the sea beyond it. The wind felt colder too.

"My bum fucking hurts. Can't we stop for a minute?" he asked and twisted on his seat. He noticed He Tian's knuckles going white while holding tight on the window sill as if trying hard not to get knocked off balance by the sudden tipping of the bus as it turns left and right.

"I already asked but they said we're not stopping until our destination. And where do we take a break in this mountain road?" 

"But we've been stopping like crazy," Mo Guan Shan said. He remembered getting dizzy because people were getting off every five minutes or so.

And he wanted to tell He Tian to stop trying to become his seatbelt because being face to face with him is making him too self-conscious. And his face felt thicker because of the wind. Or dust. 

"Well, that was the other passengers' stop. I don't know how everything works around here, Little Mermaid. But you can sit on my lap if you're sore."

"No thanks. You can't even sit still without sliding off."

He Tian laughed out loud that the conductor took a peek to see what's wrong.

"That won't do. It'll flatten and lose its beauty."

Mo Guan Shan's face reddened in embarrassment just as when his stomach grumbled too audibly for the other guy to hear.

"Want some egg?" He Tian offered him two hard-boiled eggs. He took it and started peeling one when He Tian pushed forward a plastic bag with different stuff inside. "There were vendors coming and going but you were asleep so I bought every kind so we can sample them."

He Tian opened a sealed plastic with what looked like pork slices but were clearly dry and crispy. Then he opened another, this time something that looked like a block of white rice crispies.

"I wish we had beer," Mo Guan Shan commented when he tasted the crispy pork treat. "I could eat this forever." He turned his back on He Tian to enjoy the view from the window.

He Tian laughed laughed softly before drinking from a sweaty bottled water. They ate without taking their eyes off the breathtaking sights. Most of the passengers had gotten off so even Mo Guan Shan could feel the bus getting lighter that it's almost flying on the snaking highway.

"This feels like a dream," he said, not bothering if He Tian could hear him or not. "Maybe I died and I'm dreaming somebody else's life, or something."

"Maybe," He Tian said with his lips on his nape. Mo Guan Shan closed his eyes. "But you didn't die. You're just starting over, because you deserve it."

* * *

Notes:

Chicharon - fried pork slices/ pork rind

Ampaw - puffed rice that is freakin' addictive.