Chapter 25

Rules really were useless in that kind of basketball, especially to the older guys. They would hold on to the ball for too long without dribbling, or they would commit fouls such as travelling and the referee wouldn't even bat an eye. Although it goes for both teams. He Tian took several steps without dribbling on purpose and he wasn't called out, so he tried experimenting, taking note of the times when the referee actually calls for fouls. Usually, they only consider intentional fouls like bumping and pushing.

And their positions were all over the place, just as Nato said. Whoever gets the ball gets everyone's attention and that's when they lost most of their points. The kids were easily intimidated when boxed out by the big guys.

They were behind on points when they took a short break.

"Guys, you're smaller but it doesn't mean you're at a disadvantage," Rica said, shouting just to get her voice across the loud crowd. "Their footwork is sloppy, aside from that of Kyle and Jomar."

"They play for the school," Nato informed He Tian who was wiping his sweat with his shirt. He took it off, making the girls squeal even more, and drove the men even bitter than earlier. Mo Guan Shan could only shake his head in disbelief.

"Whoever gets the ball scores, right?" He Tian asked. "Little Mo, I'll wait under the basket, you bring me the ball!" he shouted loud enough for whoever's listening to hear.

"Sure," Mo Guan Shan answered. After working up a sweat, he seemed more giddy to move around and play. He used to play in public courts on weekends just to stay in shape and keep his stamina in check.

They're only playing in a small "court" with a cement floor and two baskets on each side, no roof. Not much different from the ones in his neighborhood, but smaller and rougher, no paint whatsoever.

It's getting darker but nobody seems to notice.

When they resumed, the other side had the ball but Nato quickly intersected, already expecting that they wouldn't pass and just go directly to the basket. Mo Guan Shan was in position, waiting for the ball. Kyle had the good instincts to guard him even if his teammates were all over Nato. The unguarded Bentong saw the opportunity and he approached from the side as Nato tried to feint a shot and passed him the ball. Their eyes all landed on Mo Guan Shan who raised two hands to receive the pass. They were expecting Bentong to bring him the ball but the kid already threw the ball as high as he could towards their basket. He Tian was all smiles when he jumped and caught the ball, running without any intervention, and tossed it for a simple lay-up.

Dunking made impossible by his flimsy flipflops, but the goal was to not stand out too much.

Throughout the game, they kept on doing overhead passes and letting He Tian get it mid-air, taking advantage of the fact that he's the tallest. It was going too well and the other team became restless and started isolating him from everyone. Mo Guan Shan had to think of a different strategy to hold up while the opposition grounded He Tian. 

"I'm confident with my three point shots but just to be on the safe side, Bentong and Sydney should wait under the basket to follow-up. Once we score several three's, they'll surely scatter," he told Nato as he dribbled the ball and Nato quickly nodded. He's been around coordinating.

"If I can't make the shot, you get the ball and I'll stop Kyle under the basket," Mo Guan Shan told him earlier. They trust him and it's satisfying.

He heard that the townspeople were already convinced that they'll lose because He Tian can't even touch the ball and he can't have that. He won't let their team lose because he wanted to prove something to these motherfckers.

Sydney managed to ferret the ball from JR and he passed it to Nato who delivered the ball beneath the basket, luring in their enemies before passing it back to Mo Guan Shan.