Chapter 3

He was about to celebrate the fact that he'll be able to stretch his legs when He Tian told him that they still needed a motorcycle ride. His butt felt grateful but he grumbled his protests.

"If this goes on forever, we'll run out of land," Mo Guan Shan said while standing by the side of the road. Their luggage was neatly stacked by the waiting shed. Kids who looked like they're still in junior high were loitering around.

"Funny but have you ever seen a map of China?" He Tian asked and opened a bottle of mineral water. He turned his back from the road and poured the water down his face. Now he feels like washing his face too.

"But this is foreign land. I feel like we're on a journey to the center of the Earth."

"We'll be there, all right?" He Tian faced him with a gentle smile plastered on his dripping wet face. "Bear with it for now. When we get there, it will be worth it."

To be honest, Mo Guan Shan is not the type to complain. For someone like him who grew up poor, complaining is a luxury he cannot afford. But he's willing to test this stranger's patience to see if he's the kind to blow up and kill him when he finally realizes he's been scammed.

Dying is so much easier when you're killed. Because it's not going to be your fault. Then people, his mom, will have someone else to blame.

"She's here," He Tian said. He turned to see who he's referring to.

A tanned woman approached them with her smile upturned sideways, a boyish smile. She's lean and tall, the kind who looks like she's been training for some sport or maybe the military and she walks solidly. She playfully gave He Tian a light punch on the arm before turning to him.

"I'm Rica Santiago, He Tian's friend and I'm a local, so I'm going to be your guide too," she said in her simple Mandarin Chinese but offered a hand to shake.

"I'm Mo Guan Shan," he said and shook her rough hand. She has a much stronger grip than he does and it's kind of frustrating. "I'm gonna be your burden."

She laughed. No, she guffawed like she's exaggerating her own laugh.

"Sounds like a problem," she smirked and picked up his backpack while He Tian's already carrying his. The sunburnt and dark-skinned kids milling around, the ones he thought were just being nosy, attentively stood up and carried the heavy suitcases.

"What are they doing? They're kids! I'll help!" he protested but He Tian shook his head.

"They're doing it because they want to, okay? Now we're going to walk because it's getting dark and it's dangerous to travel by motorcycle. Trust me, you'll thank these kids later," the raven-haired boy whispered to his ear while they're walking side by side.

"But you're carrying something," Mo Guan Shan protested, casting a look at Rica. "She's carrying something."

"She's used to the path and I've been here before too, so I know I can survive the long walk. But it's your first time here so please, don't waste your strength by arguing."

Mo Guan Shan huffed in frustration. When everyone was ahead of them with their flashlights out, He Tian pulled him closer.

"If I get tired, I'll let you carry this. Deal?"

"Whatever."

The dirt road seemed to stretch ahead forever but it's cold so Mo Guan Shan didn't break a sweat. But when it ended and they're facing a narrow dirt path that looked like it only happened by being regularly stepped on, he secretly thanked He Tian for not giving him anything to carry. It appeared to be drawn horizontally when lit by the flashlight because of the sudden elevation.

"This is a mountain we're climbing so please be careful. Don't try to jump, you'll only suffer from bruises and broken bones and the hospital's two hours away," He Tian reminded him but when he didn't say anything, the boy held his hand and intertwined their fingers. "Can you go on?"

"Of course I can. I'm just catching my breath."

"This is good cardio though. When you get used to this, we can go for hours without you passing out," He Tian whispered when he pulled him close.

They heard a soft chuckle from Rica who's walking ahead of them but Mo Guan Shan can't see He Tian's reaction.

They climbed up, then there were parts where they descended and then they crossed several streams, climbed up again while the kids were talking and laughing like they're about to go on a picnic. Mo Guan Shan was barely breathing when He Tian shone his flashlight on a big black animal with curved horns. A water buffalo. Even he knows something like that.

"They call that Kabaw, short for Carabao."

After a while Rica shouted something to the kids ahead and suddenly all their lights went out. Mo Guan Shan was about to complain, again, when he noticed he could faintly see He Tian's face proudly looking at him with his arm pointing to the sky.

He looked up and suddenly, he understood. Not about why they stopped but the reason why He Tian brought him here. The world seemed to revolve only for them, and everyone present in that moment.

In that place, the sky and all the stars were all theirs. The vast space that stretches beyond them was clearer than every sky he saw in his lifetime, and he almost missed it.

And then he knew fear. Of not knowing how different worlds are when you run from one and land on the other.

"Rica, go ahead. We'll catch up," He Tian called out. The girl answered and picked up the boy's backpack as if she's not aware of its weight.

Mo Guan Shan did not protest when He Tian pressed his lips on his. Even he isn't one to ruin such a perfect moment.