Chapter 29

December wasn't the easiest month for He Tian, with all the storms and gloomy weather. Mo Guan Shan would always catch the guy staring out from the picture window, sighing and looking like a droopy house plant.

"Is the weather that bad?" He knew it was a stupid question. It's been raining day and night and they can't even tell the time without looking at their wall clock.

"I hate the rain, that's all. Bear with me, okay?"

"Like you have to ask."

At first Mo Guan Shan was worried that his own dark clouds would worsen He Tian's but he discovered that the more He Tian needed him, the more he seemed to brighten up. Waking up early to fix him breakfast and making sure everything in the house was in order, it made him more motivated everyday.

He thought that maybe it's what happens when someone else is more miserable than you but he gently slapped his cheeks. That only happens when you're actually happy for other people's misery. He hated looking at a melancholic He Tian, but he felt like he was needed and he actually had a purpose.

"We should really get one of Rica's puppies," he told He Tian over dinner. "3rdBall's not furry enough to ease the stress."

"I was only waiting for you to bring that up," He Tian chuckled.

3rdBall was growing into a handsome cock and they let him inside most of the time, although Mo Guan Shan had to pick up random chicken shit on the floor before they squished one with their flip flops and scattered it all over the floor.

"I thought it wouldn't be so bad."

"We can have a Black Lab if you want. He Cheng adores his Labs."

"Nah, the little Aspin is good enough. I didn't peg He Cheng as a dog person. How about you?"

"Hmm. I had a Golden Retriever once. She died several years ago and I've been living alone after college so I didn't get another dog. I'd feel bad if I left them alone because I was out all the time."

They talked about dogs while camping in a tent in the middle of the living room. 3rdBall even perched on top of the tent, head tucked inside its wing. He's the new morning alarm and he's persistent.

"Can I go to the mall tomorrow?"

"Without me?" He Tian asked, making circles with his finger on Mo Guan Shan's arm.

"I had a good idea and I wanna surprise you with it."

"Take Nato with you."

"I was getting to that," he answered. Of course he's not going out on his own.

They read their own books in comfortable silence until Mo Guan Shan finally dozed off. The red-headed guy always complained about reading books because he said it made him sleepy but he's been into English novels lately. The cop fiction stuff with a badass cop who drives Porsche. Rica had a wide range of genres in her paperback collection to lend them.

He Tian traced a finger over Mo Guan Shan's eyebrow, down to his nose and stopping at the pointed tip. It's been his favorite hobby ever since living with this guy. Memorizing the contours of his face, studying each line, making sense of the unintelligible words that he mumbles on those soft lips as he sleeps.

How in love can you get before you finally begin to return full circle? Where's the apex of this love, because he knows he could go higher. Conquer more odds.

Later that night, Mo Guan Shan opened his eyes. He Tian's sound asleep next to him, looking so relaxed and handsome. He scooted closer to him and wrapped his arm over him as he pressed his back on his body. He loved being He Tian's little spoon. He also loved hugging the arm draped over him until he fell asleep.