22

OUTCASTS
— 22. Denial

  In the church attic, Cadence stood with Dr

In the church attic, Cadence stood with Dr. Sheski, Cami, and Josh in front of Kieran. The man was tied to a chair, being prepared to have ECT performed on him.

"There's a special place in hell for your kind," Kieran told Josh, who stood behind him as he placed a piece of leather in his mouth to help him not break his teeth during the procedure.

"Eh. Not the first time I've heard that one," Josh commented and Cadence smirked in amusement since she knew what he meant.

"I feel you on that one," She replied and earned a small smile from Josh. Both had been something frowned upon by many in the human world aside from what they were supernaturally.

Josh was gay, which many were still against despite it being the twenty-first century.

And Cadence was a teen mom to not just one child, but two. She, too, was given dirty looks in her life because of that, not to mention being born a siphon witch.

"Well, isn't this a gruesome, little scene?" A familiar voice suddenly spoke up, causing Cadence's eyes to widen as she whipped herself around to see Klaus standing in the doorway.

"Klaus!" She exclaimed, surprised to see him, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I received an urgent call on your behalf," He responded, earning a confused look from both Cami and Cadence, "It seems I've been tasked with doing what Cami's coward of a boyfriend could not, which, by the looks of things, is dissuading the two of you from whatever madness it is you're about to attempt."

As he spoke to her, Klaus slowly approached Cadence until he was standing right in front of her. "I suppose you were the one to suggest this rash idea?" He asked and Cadence glared at him coldly, "And here I thought you were smart."

Cadence glared at Klaus once more, just before whipping herself about to face Kieran and the others. "Are you ready?"

"Please, I'm begging you, don't force me to do this," Dr. Sheski pleaded and Cadence rolled her eyes at him. For someone who was compelled, he sure did try to fight it all.

"Fine. I'll do it myself," Cami announced and moved toward Kieran with a look of determination.

He pushed Josh out of the way, standing behind Kieran as she grabbed the electrode pads.

Klaus sighed, his lips parting as he watched the scene occur. He noticed the look on Cadence's face. He knew it all too well. She was determined. Determined to fix what she felt she was at fault for.

Marcel was right. If Cadence lost Kieran, she'd break in too. But Marcel had forgotten the most important part of all. She'd truly be broken because she felt like she was at fault for it. After all, her own mother had been the one to hex Kieran. Just like she hexed Sean. Both of which because of how close they were to Cadence. And if Cadence had shown up weeks ago instead of being in the bayou, she could have siphoned the curse before it had reached his brain. That most of all were what would break her.